Notices

Why am I not dropping weight?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Why am I not dropping weight?

I quit drinking about 3 1/2 weeks ago. The first week I went from 212 to 207 lbs and that made me feel good. Over the past 2 weeks I have not lost anything. I'm stuck at 207. I am walking more, going out more, eating much more healthy. When I was drinking constantly I would order crap (chinese food, chicken cutlet parmagian, baked ziti with extra cheese... ext..). Anyhow, I am cooking for myself, or when I go out I try and order grilled chicken breast with veggies, I ask them not to use salt or butter. I've been eating a lot more fruit for hydration, and drink a lot of water or carbonated water. I don't drink juice and gave up my diet coke habit at the same time. I am def. taking in less calories then when I was drinking and eating better. Why am I stuck? I use to be in good shape, and I know for a fact I am taking in less calories food wise (forget about all the booze calories). I had my bloods checked 3 times, and all my organs are heathy. I did start blood pressure medication, but that is part diaretic, so I shouldn't be bloated... Any help, suggestions?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Our bodies like to stay at the weight they have become adjusted to. We sometimes hit a plateau and need to change something. Add more exercise or decrease intake further. It could just be your body readjusting this week and you will loose again next week.

Are your clothes fitting better? Sometimes you are loosing inches but not pounds. Get a tape measure and track your waist, thighs, biceps, chest. Also a good diet journal is a good idea if you are on ready for a strict calorie counting diet.

Good Luck and great job on staying sober for 3.5 weeks!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can men have water retention? I'm sure a body used to dehydration is gonna hold on to all it can get.

Really though, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep adding more exercise and a little less food and I'm sure you'll keep loosing weight. You're in a better position than when you were drinking right?

Well done on 3 and a half weeks x
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

give your body more time to heal.

eat more veggies, less fruit, maybe?

talk to your doctor about better nutrition. soometimes what we consider better isn't good enough, maybe?

heal well!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first week was mostly water weight you lost....

Aside from a clean diet, you also need to start doing cardio !
Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreekGuy View Post
I quit drinking about 3 1/2 weeks ago. The first week I went from 212 to 207 lbs and that made me feel good. Over the past 2 weeks I have not lost anything. I'm stuck at 207. I am walking more, going out more, eating much more healthy. When I was drinking constantly I would order crap (chinese food, chicken cutlet parmagian, baked ziti with extra cheese... ext..). Anyhow, I am cooking for myself, or when I go out I try and order grilled chicken breast with veggies, I ask them not to use salt or butter. I've been eating a lot more fruit for hydration, and drink a lot of water or carbonated water. I don't drink juice and gave up my diet coke habit at the same time. I am def. taking in less calories then when I was drinking and eating better. Why am I stuck? I use to be in good shape, and I know for a fact I am taking in less calories food wise (forget about all the booze calories). I had my bloods checked 3 times, and all my organs are heathy. I did start blood pressure medication, but that is part diaretic, so I shouldn't be bloated... Any help, suggestions?
Losing five pounds in a week is mostly going to be water weight (five pounds is roughly 17500 calories, so cutting five pounds of fat would require eating at a 2500cal deficit for seven days, which would be a "I live on a desert island eating sand mites" diet) .. Expecting that to be the norm every week is not a realistic expectation.

If you're not counting calories in, there's no way to know if you should be losing weight or not. So when you say, "I know for a fact" that you are taking in less calories, how do you know? Do you weigh your food before you eat it, or eat pre-portioned foods so you can count calories that way?

If you're not counting, you don't know.

If you are trying to lose weight, figure out your basal metabolic rate at BMR Calculator then figure out your daily calorie needs at Harris Benedict Equation, then eat 500-700 calories less than that every day. Check your weight in a month, you should be down 4-5 pounds. Rinse, repeat.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I actually gained 5 pounds in the last 2 months of sobriety. I don't think there is a guarantee you will lose weight.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Note: These theories have not been evaluated by the FDA and only reflect the opinion of some guy on the internet.

I think at first what happens is you drop weight from not having a steady supply of high-octane fuel. Then your body starts to adjust to digesting food and being well hydrated again. Sure you were eating while drinking *but* your body wasn't digesting the food very well because it didn't need to. It will take time for your body to adjust.

I'm almost adjusted after three months.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello GreekGuy, I work at a gym and can tell you it takes the body awhile to adjust to new eating and change. Keep in mind we have been damaging our bodies for quite sometime as well. The body can go into a state of shock and hold on to weight for a bit until we stabilize, which takes time and is different for each person. As stated, make sure you are checking your caloric intake as you may be eating more calories than you think Congrats on 3 1/2 weeks that is great!!! I have 9 days today