Notices

How to be Supportive?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How to be Supportive?

I have been with my boyfriend for a year. I have been close friends with his sister for 10 years and so have known him just as long. I have no doubts on the amazingness of his character and why I love him, therefore I am choosing to stay by his side through this, but it is getting tough for me and I am feeling myself wanting to retract.

He is a pharmacist, and within this year, he has self prescribed, become addicted, quit his job, gone to a 1 month rehab, relapsed his 3rd day out, started meetings and counseling, was clean for a couple weeks, relapsed again and got a DUI and put on probation, clean again for quite a few months, got a new job (not in pharmacy) and just this week got arrested twice for impersonating a doctor and calling in prescriptions. He never obtained and so I guess this was just an attempt to relapse? or is it still considered relapsing if you are taking that kind of action and still in the wrong mindset..

Either way, my concern is that he has a LOT to go through yet. Significant time for jail or rehab or both will keep us apart for quite a while I'm sure. I am afraid that the more struggles like this that he goes through, the less hope/security/confidence I will feel each time and eventually it could drive us apart. But then if I distance myself so that doesnt happen, it will ensure a better chance of things working out when he is back in recovery mode, but then I am not there as support through it all, which I want to be. What is the best way to stay supportive and positive for him while maintaining my own sanity and not losing energy towards the relationship?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Give him his space and time to get better.

For now, stay away. Do what is best for you.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Al Anon or Nar Anon and also visit the Family and Friends Forum (scroll down from the Newcomers to Recovery Forum.

Welcome to SR!