Notices

just admitting it now......what now?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just admitting it now......what now?

After many years of daily drinking I'm admitting I'm out of control. I want my life back. I feel so trapped by this addiction. I need encouragement.....my first step was signing up on SR. Please, how do I get through the first days, weeks..
Gosh, I just realized how much better I feel having admitted it to "you".
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you considered AA? Millions of people have recovered. You can too!
You can find meeting schedules online. Most cities have their own website.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't considered a thing I'm scared. Not sure what to do. Relieved to be addressing it but very literally just started. I will look into AA meetings by me. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't believe the money I've drank away over the years. The weight gain. The lying. The missed work. I hate waking up in the morning to "I hate myself" thoughts
Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR!! This is a great place to find the answers you're looking for and for support. Its like a big family x Have you sought medical advice? Detoxing on your own can be dangerous depending on how much you were drinking.
I spent the early days glued to this site, I read and posted all the time. It helped me so much. There are lots of recovery methods. I go to AA, which is really helping me, but there are other ways too. Read and keep in touch. Wishing you the very best xxx
Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by findinghope74 View Post
After many years of daily drinking I'm admitting I'm out of control. I want my life back. I feel so trapped by this addiction. I need encouragement.....my first step was signing up on SR. Please, how do I get through the first days, weeks..
Gosh, I just realized how much better I feel having admitted it to "you".
Awesome!

Welcome to SR. Getting thru the first few days is referred to as detoxing, and its really important to understand how detoxing works for you *personally*

A recovery path thereafter works best going forward. SR provides lots of support and understanding, based on experiences of others sharing in the forums. Check it out.

Good to know you feel better already just sharing...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome findinghope -

We've all been there - you're not alone. I was terrified when I got here - afraid to keep drinking but afraid to get sober. I spent the first days glued to this forum..... Keep reading and posting..... There are a lot of resources and tools out there, but the main thing is having tons of support and making a decision to not drink, no matter what.

Glad you're here!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I found comfort in AA. And a social outlet - LOL. Seriously. A lot of support with the women I've met there. Many of them work in buildings right next to me, so literally when things are tough I run over their and confide. I hope you get better soon. The first few days can be hard.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome to SR! This is a fantastic place for support. I wish the best to you!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I wish you the very best.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

As always great advice .

So Welcome you made your great start by joining.

I am a member of AA and just love my life in it. Check out all some of the programs and go with something. If you dont like it change , just keep going and learning.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Howdy !!! It's the best thing giving up, you have a better outlook on life and you feel normal again. Hope everything works out for you, and keep posting when times get hard, it really helped me.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR findinghope

SR helped me get through those first few days...and helped me make a longer term plan for myself.

I know this place can help you too - hope to see you around

D
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

There are plenty of us here. The 'dread' of the first little while dissipates. My abject fears of a life spent in boredom and missing drinking were not realised. I found freedom from the struggle and peace I have not known since my childhood.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family findinghope. You've made a wise decision to regain control of your life. Mine was completely off the tracks when I found SR. I was also immediately relieved when I saw so many stories just like mine, and realized I could leave the old, sick way of life behind forever.

I was the worst for guilt and remorse. I went back decades and relived everything - it would keep me up at night, walking the floors - and drinking, of course. I had to allow myself to move forward by looking towards the future, and the new life I was going to have. We need to remember what happened that brought us to this place, but we can't dwell on it - or we'll risk ruining our chances of moving forward and healing.

We're here for you - keep reading and posting. You can do this!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR findinghope.

Glad you are here.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by findinghope74 View Post
I can't believe the money I've drank away over the years. The weight gain. The lying. The missed work. I hate waking up in the morning to "I hate myself" thoughts
yup, this was me. except for the fact that i was very highly skilled and did my job extremely well, i hated everything else about me. i cant say i hated my life as i was really only existing.

i got into AA and put in a lot of footwork to find out what makes me tick and to change me.
today, i am a very blessed man. i dont hate myself anymore. i can look at myself in the mirror and not be disgusted with who i see! life has been awesome!!! that doesnt mean i dont get rough patches here and there, but i get through them...and without alcohol!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
orangutan

Welcome to SR findinghope glad you found us.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 I felt hopeless and hated myself too. But with the help of this site and my counselor I am happily sober over two years now. It is possible to live a happy sober life.