Notices

What's wrong with me?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's wrong with me?

I go a week or so, no drinking not difficult. And than I say one glass of wine, I can handle it. And then a few days pass and I'm back to passing out drunk after a bottle or more. I hate my life right now, why can't i get a grip on it like I did back at Christmas time. Please tell me what to do, I'm so upset again today. I'm not hungover, just down. Look at this person I've become.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear you're down. It is like a spiral isn't it? Our addictions lie to us, telling us that we can drink normally. They can be very persuasive.
What have you tried to break this pattern so far? Maybe it's time to change the plan? Xx
Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I am with jeni on this. I needed to change patterns. I still fall back at it but I keep trying.

And please try to remember that you are worth it. You can do it.

I am all to familiar with the feelings and hopelessness you seem to be feeling. I have been there.

Take a moment today to do something nice for yourself. Even if you have to fight everything to do it. It really will help.

Ken
Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stop drinking all together, and quit flirting with the idea that you can drink like a normal person. Until you admit and accept powerlessness over alcohol, you will stay in this vicious cycle. That was the case with me, for 6 years.

Good news is that things get much better and you do not have to drink again !

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have learned (from this site) that it’s your AV (Alcoholic Voice) telling you, “One glass of wine, I can handle it.” I also liked to finish a bottle of wine, enjoying the thought that it would put me to sleep and take away the stress of the day. But the next day I would realize that maybe I said something to one of my kids that I did not recall or that I missed saying goodnight to them, or that my teenager came home past curfew and I did not know.

You said please tell me what to do - - - This is what is working for me: tell your AV to “shut up”, make a plan, read the serenity prayer several times throughout the day, and envision your life being 100% there for your kids at all times. I am new to this, after several previous attempts, so I’m no pro, but I am determined.

I read your old posts. I definitely believe you can do this! Keep reading and keep posting! We can do this together...
Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mammyof3boys View Post
I go a week or so, no drinking not difficult. And than I say one glass of wine, I can handle it. And then a few days pass and I'm back to passing out drunk after a bottle or more. I hate my life right now, why can't i get a grip on it like I did back at Christmas time. Please tell me what to do, I'm so upset again today. I'm not hungover, just down. Look at this person I've become.
Mammy, please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". Can you identify with these documents??

I quit drinking often in the beginning... but staying quit and living sober required the program of AA for me.

All the best to you.

Bob R
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been there many times. I now accept I am not and never will be a normal drinker. I am fed up of going through the never ending turmoil of it all.

The only answer is to quit drinking. I use Rational Recovery. Many use SMART or AA.(and SR of course!!)

Good luck-do stick around here-it helps immensely
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Mammyof3boys View Post
Addiction causes us to be ambivalent in our desires, our behaviors, and with our results. We want this, that, and the other thing, and all at the same time we don't. We end up just wanting to be better, and to happily be ourselves... It can be really confusing...

We can often justify future drinking with the idea that what feels good must in fact be good...

We can ignore or otherwise deny our present difficulties and challenges because feeling bad, sad, alone, scared, angry, anxious, unsure, inferior, weak-willed, stubborn, guilty, resentful, stressed, emotional...

no one wants to feel these things when simply having that next drink often enough makes it all seemingly go away, for a time...

What was happening last Christmas time?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What everyone has said is true. I am constantly "flirting with the idea" that I can handle it next time. But I can't.
At Christmas of 2011 my family had a big drunk fight on my front lawn at 1 in the morning. Instead of preparing my home for my boys in he morning I was instead trying to stop m sister from drinking and driving, which she did anyway. But something, although now only temporarily, changed in me that Christmas day and I didn't drink for 3 months. It was a commitment of sorts to be better. Than my father in law died suddenly and I to quickly came back to alcohol. And I've had several sober weeks again but I've not been able to stay sober for that long. I want it. So many of you on here told me that it would only get harder to stay sober and you were all 100% right.
I looked into some AA meetings. There is one on Sunday evening at a local church that I plan on attending.
Thanks for all your thoughts.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

All great advice above, and I am just including a thread I wrote not all that long ago on how I feel about this topic . .. I thought I would share it again with you and all the other new people that have come in.

Gooood Afternoon,

Its a beautiful friday day here and my heart and mind are just as peaceful as the skies are today. I hope your are also and for everyone just starting this journey I send good thoughts and stick to it. The fog will clear, I know I said it was like a took windex to my eyes. The world literally got brighter and more clear after several weeks.

My first attempt at getting sober was June 20, 2011. I jumped right in to AA did what I was told go to meetings, get home group, get a sponsor, and work the steps. Well everything was going great did all the above but after two months I got to well to fast, it only took slacking on those things for a bit and I wound up drinking. And went on and off for the rest of the year.

None of us, I know I just couldnt accept the fact that I couldnt handle it, so over that time I just spent countless attempts at trying to prove that I could in fact drink like other people. (Deep down knowing full well I could not). To the New Year when I got back to what was working before, and fully came to grips and smash the delusion that I could drink one night and not another.

It has definitely has been proving time and time again before me and will continue after me, that no alcoholic ever regains control. Over any considerable period I would always get worse and right back to were I left off. Or worse , but truly for me it couldnt of gotten worse. I drank every waking moment. So for the title today of there is no such thing making a normal drinker out of a alcoholic.

I write this today for everyone, if your new or if you have some time. Take that minute today to remember why your here and just a bit of the bad. I need to do that because I forget the past so quickly. Sorry for the long thread today , but life is good now, I didnt give up , I kept coming back and learning. So now I have some good time behind me.

We all should have and deserve to have a life and have it more abundantly full of spirituality, mental, physical, joyous, and powerful life. This we all can have if you follow a path, of what ever you choose. For me that path was AA, and I truly just love the program and the fellowship I have now.

Enjoy your weekend and remember to Smile cause Sobriety looks good on You. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Good love, Inda
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you. You are 100% right. I will never be a normal drinker. Never.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mammy,
I have been following your posts and I know how much you want to be sober. AA and Sr helped me to get sober and stay sober. You need the support of people who understand what you are going through and can help you.
I am so glad to hear you are going to a meeting. I know you can do this.
Love
CaiHong
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're going to a meeting too Mammy - I hope this will be a big step forward for you

welcome back
D
Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Me too. But I'm nervous.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back.

I agree that you have to fully accept that drinking is no longer an option, ever.

I would also ask you what changes you made in your life during the weeks you are not drinking? Drinking is the symptom and we need to deal with the underlying issues in order to heal.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
....... Drinking is the symptom and we need to deal with the underlying issues in order to heal.
This is 100% true and usually a cause of many, many relapses if untreated, that was the case for me, 100%.