Notices

dealing with irrational thoughts about using

Old 08-03-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dealing with irrational thoughts about using

Hi everyone

I keep having the persistent thought three months or so after I gave up using IV drugs that if I just used my drug of choice one more time, it would get rid of the craving, one last hurrah so to speak, and I could move on from this. Of course when I've acted on this before I've gone straight back to my old ways. I know it's irrational but at the same time, I constantly want to use "just once more".

Can anyone explain to me how ridiculous this is? Perhaps some coping tips? How long will the cravings go on for? Will I ever get past this? I just wish I could get through a single day without thinking about this!

Thanks in advance everyone
Old 08-03-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

It is part of the addiction. Mental and physical aspect. The thought of one more is our brain trying to recreate the pleasant effects. We can't do that, though. It leads us back to the insanity of constant using. We can get past those cravings, it just takes time for the brain to create new and healthy pathways for us. Give time time.

We are used to a quick fix, taking time for happiness without the using is something that is unnatural for us. We have to do something else, we must learn new habits, new ways of thinking.

You can stay stopped, too. Again, give time time.

I found a change in me and my perspective by working the 12 steps. Not everyone can find that. There are other ways, too. Find a program to get involved with and work that like your life depends upon it.

Are you certain you are done? Commit to not using. Find that program and work it. Narcotics Anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous, LifeRing, SOS, AVRT, SMART, Rational Recovery are several programs available.

Write a journal, exercise a bit, clean something, maybe just watch a movie or read a book. Something will help you if you are ready to stay stopped.

I wish you well on your recovery journey!
Love & hugs,
Old 08-03-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard,

I go with sugarbear there, please do yourself a favor and look into some programs. Together we stay sober.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR BriarRose

I had a last hurrah for drinking every night for a year or maybe more. I can't remember, but it was exhausting. Constantly 'quitting' then thinking 'Oh go on then, one last time!'.

AVRT was the only thing that got through to me early on. Really shut that internal dialogue up

You will get past this x