Notices

Recovery Music

Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Recovery Music

Do you have music you find especially inspiring or meaningful while going through this process? I'd like to make a playlist that might help in the process. I'm sure there are a ton of great tunes/lyrics that would fit the bill....thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been thinking the same thing. "Get by" by Taliban Kweli is amazing. I have literally been playing it on repeat non stop since I downloaded it. YouTube it, it's really a great song. Gotta listen to the lyrics.

"this morning, I woke up feeling brand new, I jumped up... feeling my highs, & my lows, & my soul, & my goals - just to stop smokin & stop drinkin, but I been thinkin I got my reasons - just to get by, just to get by..."

It's a feel good song too, so it helps me a lot.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Omg damn iPad... It's not Taliban. It's Talib Kweli. Damn auto correct. Lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also, Lil Boosie's "I quit", "goin thru some thangs", & "never give up".

Kirko Bangz - "stupid decisions", "million dollar dreams", & "touch the sky"

All good songs.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Wonderful", from My Morning Jacket's last album. I'm probably projecting my own inferences onto Jim James' lyrics, but what the hell, makes me like the song even more.

There's a huge thread somewhere on recovery songs—tons of suggestions dating back to ye olden days of SR.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm pretty fond of "I'm Not Afraid," by Eminem.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

I think early in recovery it is good to reach out to beautiful things that can ease the discomfort and carry you through. Songs that rock me are unlikely to do the same for you. Try revisiting some of the songs and music you have loved over the years.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The day I found this site I was also googling relaxing music and found a 30 minute piece that I literally listened to all the time. Figured out how to hook my iPhone up to my car and played it driving all the time! It's on YouTube if you search for relax chill music, or it's called guru guru waheguru. Lots of empowering beak up songs and I substitute the person with alcohol or addiction. There's a couple by Anna nalick and Kelly Clarkson that I remember hitting me. I'll try to think of them.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for all the suggestions. Fix You by Coldplay and While You See a Chance by Steve Winwood are two of my favorites-different songs for different moods.

Good suggestion to listen to old favorites too.

Will look for old thread on here, so many threads it gets overwhelming sometimes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

You know fire you post made me consider something I had not. I have a ton of drug songs. Music that triggers so many unwanted emotions.

I have not bought music in a long time since I have been drunk. Must have been at least five years.

I want to flip that. I am going to stop by the store and pick out something. Something I can declare as sober music. Maybe reprogram the negatives into positive.

That may be an odd thing to do but I have been bothered a lot recently by certain songs. And you know when you don't want to hear them is when they play them non stop.

Thanks for inspiring me to do something different.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Weasel, I understand exactly what you mean!
A few years ago when I quit opiates, listening to certain songs saddened me a lot, and maybe me relapse even a few times. Now its ok.

Recently I've been listening to an indie french singer I don't know well and I feel a lot of emotion and I'm associating him more or less conscionsly with sobriety. Which is a good thing I think!

I'm gonna check the songs you're all talking about when I get home tomorrow night.

Weirdly some Bright Eyes songs that talk about alcohol inspire me to stay sober. I've associated this guy with drugs and alcohol for so long but now I see he's also struggling.
Anyways...

I'll think of other songs that inspire me!