Codependent anonimous - what to expect?

Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codependent anonimous - what to expect?

I found Codependent anonimous meetings in my area, however I have no idea what to expect when I go there. Sorry if my question sounds stupid but is it similar to AA meetings as they show on TV i.e. a person stands in front of a group and talks about his/her issues?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I've only been to one CODA meeting but no, it's not likely a person stands at the front of the room and speaks. They probably are more similar to Al-Anon meetings where everyone sits and people may read from some books, or there might be a speaker there to share their story, and folks go around the room and share if they would like.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have never been to CODA meetings I plan on adding those later...

I would think they work like Al-anon or Families Anonymous (those are the 2 I have attended)

The meeting I have been to the leader of the meeting for that night reads some required information for the meeting we all introduce our self by first name only
Then readings are done from a book and most leaders have a subject picked out.
Then if anyone has anything they would like to share about the reading they do so.
Just a bit of how it works where I attend.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

CoDA was my home fellowship for many years before we moved. It was a wonderful meeting of people who understood me and who shared with me a program of 12 steps that literally saved my life.

I cried for the first three meetings. Nobody made me say anything, they handed me tissues and gave me hugs and told me to keep coming back, and I am so very glad that I did.

You share/speak, only when you want to. In our meetings nobody had to stand at the front of the room to share, we just sat in a big circle and shared when our turn came or passed if we preferred to just listen. No pressure at all, complete understanding, and lots of love from people who cared.

This program was not about my son's addiction, it was about me, my codependency and the issues I faced. It taught me how to live better, it taught me how to take care of myself and it taught me lessons that I shall carry with me and use through all aspects of my life today.

Please go, you will be so glad you did.

Hugs