Notices

I Did It!!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Did It!!!!

I just sent my husband a heartfelt email about my problem. I can write better than I can talk.

I told him about this place and the support and I told him how scared I was about admitting that I am an alcoholic.

I told him that I'm making an appointment with my doc and that I have a specific date to quit for good.

I've been cutting back but my cut off date is Sept. 4. That's when my kids go back to school and I have less stress.

I'm sooooo looking forward to that date!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That is great news, Habiba. I don't know how much you are consuming, but seeing a doctor is a great idea.

About your timeline tho. If this works out, and I bet it will, you will look back at this post and ask yourself what the heck you were waiting for. You will say that you have been so much more relaxed and less anxious since that day you took your last drink for good.

Just think how relieved you will be when you make that commitment to never drink again. You will never again have to do that miserable stuff that we all used to do while drinking. It really is a great feeling of finally being free. You can do it, umm, now. Like right now. The instant you are reading this, while you are reading this. Your prize is sitting there right in front of you, and it is within your grasp.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i am going to play devil's advocate and side with freshstart57...
by september 4th you could be more than a month alcohol-free... and it will be amazing.

that being said you are doing the right things by admitting to your problem and going to see your doc, and communicating with your husband.

yet, using stress as an excuse to drink is one of the oldest tricks in the alcoholic's book ... stress will always be there and the closer you'll get to you pre-set date, the more stressful it will become.
i say quit now. today. ... what's the worst that's going to happen? actually nothing. only good and positive is going to happen.

the decision is yours and only yours to make, of course. i'm just hoping that you'll put that drink down sooner than later. try not to drink today. then do the same the day after, and one more day. and google "avrt crash course". see where that takes you.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I agree, there's always a reason to put off stopping drinking.

Start today, and you can be sober and recovering when your kids go back to school.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

see your Dr first, but yeah - is there really any need to give another month over to alcohol?

D
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

seeing your doctor is a great step! i agree with moving up your quit date. you can't bend the world to your will. there's going to be a lot of stress with your kids starting school as well. there's always going to be something in your life that you can see as a reason to push back your quit date. how about seeing what your doctor thinks about your detox risks and, if it's safe, quitting after your doctor visit? you're already making so many steps in the right direction. you've got forward momentum in your favor. use it! if anything, you'll probably find it easier to quit while you're in the middle of making all of these steps rather than when you've had time to stagnate and sit and anticipate the quit date. carpe diem! don't slow down! if you're not going to quit before then than start doing something proactive. meetings, posting here daily (don't miss a day!)...something! just don't let this enthusiasm wane. it can happen. if you can move that date up, do it. i think you'll be really happy if you do.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Habiba! I'm so glad you're committed to quitting. If it can be done sooner, that'd be great. (I use emails or letters at certain times, too - no one can interrupt us & we can say what's on our minds. )
Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Habiba! I'm so glad you're committed to quitting. If it can be done sooner, that'd be great. (I use emails or letters at certain times, too - no one can interrupt us & we can say what's on our minds. )
Welcome and Ditto on the email. Look forward to watching and reading about your journey.

My b-day is sept 3 rd. So if you dont start earlier I will be checkin in on you then

You can be free.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Personally, I know that if I had a cut-off date a month from now I would probably drink myself into the grave until that date.
The start of school is always very stressful!! How wonderful if you were to have a month sober in order to deal with all the new stresses of school lunches, supplies buying, homework, early mornings, etc., that school brings. xo
Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It took a lot of courage to let your husband know what you've been going through, good for you! There's one month left of summer. I agree with the others-quit now and enjoy your kids more all month! You'll feel more relaxed and less stressed I bet! I would also imagine it might be easier when they're around to stop. If you're in an empty house it might be a little trickier to stop.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why wait til September? Why not start your sober life sooner? You won't regret it.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on such positive actions. If you haven't already done so, check out and join the class of August 2012 here at SR. I cannot tell you how important the support and fellowship of others in the same stages of sobriety has been to myself and many of my friends. Read lots, post often and enjoy the sober life - it's here today - grab the brass ring!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with others. Maybe if you have been sober a month when school starts you won't find it half as stressful as when drinking. My stress levels are way down,1 month sober

Im so glad you have shared this with your husband too
Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think there's nothing wrong with setting a date in the future when you're going to stop drinking, as long as you work your plan. Maybe the extra time helps you prepare yourself mentally, and "make peace" with your drinking as you get ready to say your final farewells. Or maybe you take the time to taper off gradually.

Nothing wrong with either of those ideas. If it helps, it helps.

But setting a date a month ahead of time, well, that's a lot of time for your brain to talk itself out of a course of action. Might want to consider moving that up a bit. But on the other hand, you know you.

Good luck