"Dysfunctional People" This is really helping me today!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

"Dysfunctional People" This is really helping me today!

OMG! I can identify pretty much all of what is listed under the "Dysfunctional" List as AXBF!!! This is making me feel so much better today.

Understanding Dysfunctional People And How They Make You Crazy

Signs that Indicate You are Dealing with Dysfunctional People
*After spending time with them, you feel “fogged” -- like you aren’t
thinking clearly.
*You thought you were thinking correctly about a situation, but after being with them, you now feel your approach to life is being questioned.
*You feel blamed for another person’s situation.
*You feel responsible to “fix” a situation that is a result of another person’s (repetitive) choices.
*You feel if you were a “good person” you maybe should help them out.
*You are concerned about how innocent people (e.g. children) will suffer from the poor choices made by another person.
*Other people are mad at you because you won’t “help them out”
(just this once!).
*You are being blamed for being unreasonable and insensitive to their situation.
*You have been in this situation before (or one very similar to it) with this person. Probably previously you “helped them out” and they are in the same predicament again.
*You are concerned that if you don’t rescue them from their current
situation, the consequences are so significant that it may ruin their life in the future.
*You feel pressured to make an immediate decision to “help out”, even
though the problem has been developing for quite a while.
*You feel “smothered”; the other person wants to get too close too soon
or they cut off the relationship totally for seemingly little slights.

Key Differences between Functional & Dysfunctional Individuals
Functional VS Dysfunctional
Honesty, Integrity VS Deceit, Not telling the whole story

Direct Communication VS Indirect Communication (talking “through” others)

Responsibility leads to Privileges VS Sense of Entitlement

Accept responsibility for choices & results VS Blame others, Make excuses

Delay gratification VS Have to meet desires now

Live in reality on day to day basis VS Escape from reality (TV, movies, videogames, drugs, alcohol, sleep)

Save, do without VS Spend, go into debt

Learn from mistakes VS Expect to be rescued from choices

Forgive & let go of past hurts VS Hold on to grudges, Revenge

Keep commitments VS Make verbal commitments with
no follow-through

Say what they mean VS Hidden agendas

Being “real” VS Focus on image & appearance

Can disagree without getting “personal" VS Disagreement leads to anger, personal attacks & hatred

Appropriate personal boundaries; VS “Smother” others, try to be too close too soon.

They let you be “you”. VS Use guilt to manipulate.

How to Deal with Dysfunctional People
*Understand that you will feel blamed or responsible for whatever the problem is.
*Accept that you cannot change the other person (their thoughts, viewpoint, ways of behaving or their choices.)
*Set boundaries: what you are and are not willing to do.
*Talk with and get support from others whom you believe are functional.
*Do not accept false guilt from the dysfunctional person. The whole problem is not your fault and it is not your responsibility to fix the problem.
*When necessary, minimize ongoing contact and interaction with the dysfunctional party.
*Realize that the current “crisis” is probably not a crisis and they can live through it.
*Remember that if you “help them out” this time, you will be expected to help them out again.

© 2011 Paul E. White, Ph.D.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, that is helpful!

I was feeling miserable about my axbf this morning, my life is all about 3 steps forward and one step back. I hate the way that he made me feel like I was not good enough for him and not worthy of love. I was never able to be myself, always walking on eggshells. I just hope all the pain goes away soon!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That list really helps me get rid of the pain. It helps to see the words that describe the person and his behavior and ways of thinking and living. Especially compared to the healthy characteristics!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
That list really helps me get rid of the pain. It helps to see the words that describe the person and his behavior and ways of thinking and living. Especially compared to the healthy characteristics!
Yes, and that the behavior really wasn't about you, but about them and their own personal dysfunctions.

Ziggy - try to stop internalizing it all. He doesn't have the power to make you feel anything that you don't want to feel. Decide all that stuff was pure and simple BS, and you'll feel instantly better!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Yes, and that the behavior really wasn't about you, but about them and their own personal dysfunctions.

Ziggy - try to stop internalizing it all. He doesn't have the power to make you feel anything that you don't want to feel. Decide all that stuff was pure and simple BS, and you'll feel instantly better!
Thanks, my therapist told me the same thing... I need to focus on some self esteem uplifting thoughts!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG! I can identify pretty much all of what is listed under the "Dysfunctional" List as AXBF!!! This is making me feel so much better today.

Understanding Dysfunctional People And How They Make You Crazy

Signs that Indicate You are Dealing with Dysfunctional People
*After spending time with them, you feel “fogged” -- like you aren’t
thinking clearly.
*You thought you were thinking correctly about a situation, but after being with them, you now feel your approach to life is being questioned.
*You feel blamed for another person’s situation.
*You feel responsible to “fix” a situation that is a result of another person’s (repetitive) choices.
*You feel if you were a “good person” you maybe should help them out.
*You are concerned about how innocent people (e.g. children) will suffer from the poor choices made by another person.
*Other people are mad at you because you won’t “help them out”
(just this once!).
*You are being blamed for being unreasonable and insensitive to their situation.
*You have been in this situation before (or one very similar to it) with this person. Probably previously you “helped them out” and they are in the same predicament again.
*You are concerned that if you don’t rescue them from their current
situation, the consequences are so significant that it may ruin their life in the future.
*You feel pressured to make an immediate decision to “help out”, even
though the problem has been developing for quite a while.
*You feel “smothered”; the other person wants to get too close too soon
or they cut off the relationship totally for seemingly little slights.

Key Differences between Functional & Dysfunctional Individuals
Functional VS Dysfunctional
Honesty, Integrity VS Deceit, Not telling the whole story

Direct Communication VS Indirect Communication (talking “through” others)

Responsibility leads to Privileges VS Sense of Entitlement

Accept responsibility for choices & results VS Blame others, Make excuses

Delay gratification VS Have to meet desires now

Live in reality on day to day basis VS Escape from reality (TV, movies, videogames, drugs, alcohol, sleep)

Save, do without VS Spend, go into debt

Learn from mistakes VS Expect to be rescued from choices

Forgive & let go of past hurts VS Hold on to grudges, Revenge

Keep commitments VS Make verbal commitments with
no follow-through

Say what they mean VS Hidden agendas

Being “real” VS Focus on image & appearance

Can disagree without getting “personal" VS Disagreement leads to anger, personal attacks & hatred

Appropriate personal boundaries; VS “Smother” others, try to be too close too soon.

They let you be “you”. VS Use guilt to manipulate.

How to Deal with Dysfunctional People
*Understand that you will feel blamed or responsible for whatever the problem is.
*Accept that you cannot change the other person (their thoughts, viewpoint, ways of behaving or their choices.)
*Set boundaries: what you are and are not willing to do.
*Talk with and get support from others whom you believe are functional.
*Do not accept false guilt from the dysfunctional person. The whole problem is not your fault and it is not your responsibility to fix the problem.
*When necessary, minimize ongoing contact and interaction with the dysfunctional party.
*Realize that the current “crisis” is probably not a crisis and they can live through it.
*Remember that if you “help them out” this time, you will be expected to help them out again.

© 2011 Paul E. White, Ph.D.
When all else fails, you can walk away permanently, from the dysfunctional person.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another OMG!!!: I am reading my 12 Steps of Adult Children workbook while I wait to leave for my Al-Anon meeting and this is what I read (paraphrased): Adult children realize they have absorbed shame, abandonment and rage and recreate similar families or relationships, realize they wanted to fix others, want to heal our drunken parents by acting good, silent, or by taking care of them. But the "sickness" the adult child attempts to cure in the parent is the disease of dysfunction!!!!!!!

Can you believe this? Yes, I know it should have been obvious but until I saw the word "dysfunction" I didn't realize what I have been doing with AXBF!!!!

!!!!!

I want to scream!!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

L2L thanks for this post, it was much cheaper than my therapy session yesterday about the same thing (hee hee).

I did not grow up with alcoholic parents, but both my parents grew up in alcoholic homes. It is frightening how many of those stories etc I related to....one generation removed.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
Thanks, my therapist told me the same thing... I need to focus on some self esteem uplifting thoughts!
Shoot - I should be charging for this, then!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeRecovery View Post
L2L thanks for this post, it was much cheaper than my therapy session yesterday about the same thing (hee hee).

I did not grow up with alcoholic parents, but both my parents grew up in alcoholic homes. It is frightening how many of those stories etc I related to....one generation removed.
My stbx's father is an ACoA. Kinda makes a lot of otherwise confusing behaviors make sense when reframed that way, huh?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It says even if your parents are not alcoholics but were in some other way dysfunctional, children can still be affected and learn the same survival mechanisms as children of alcoholics. They refer to us as "para-alcoholics."
Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It says even if your parents are not alcoholics but were in some other way dysfunctional, children can still be affected and learn the same survival mechanisms as children of alcoholics.
well, that explains a lot!!! thanks, mom and dad. ugh.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great! thanks for posting this. It's a keeper.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's some fantastic stuff!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really like these lists you posted, L2L. They are very specific and summarize everything. Thanks for posting it. Now, if only we could get the schools to cover this stuff so kids are made aware before it's too late.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

OMG! i love when stuff like this gets posted...its always a good reminder to me that i am NOT NUTS...LMAO

Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
This is just so key for me today. I have been working to rediscover myself, and get "ownership" of my house and home back, meaning, taking control back because AXBF took over my house and my life and I've practically been living in a fog ever since. Anyway, I am starting to remember who I am, who I was, and I have small glimpses of that. I remember how strong I was before it came into my life and brought all that chaos and confusion and drama and toxicity with it. I became a different person, living someone else's life in my own home. I became practically non-existent.

I think about how he always pointed his finger at his AXWF and even his kids, and I fell for it. The focus was always on how dysfunctional THEY are, especially the XWF (she does have some mental health issues so it was easy to look at her and how crazy she acts) and granted they did have some serious problems, but that was all just a distraction. They were all his RED HERRINGS!!! Definition: something intentionally or unintentionally misleading or distracting, intended to divert attention from the real problem or matter at hand; a misleading clue. HE USES HIS FAMILY AS RED HERRINGS!! THAT IS SICK!! I sure have been having a lot of OMG!!!s lately.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fourmaggie View Post
OMG! i love when stuff like this gets posted...its always a good reminder to me that i am NOT NUTS...LMAO

Me too!!!! I have been blaming myself for so long now; this comes as such a relief!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuvMySis View Post
I really like these lists you posted, L2L. They are very specific and summarize everything. Thanks for posting it. Now, if only we could get the schools to cover this stuff so kids are made aware before it's too late.
I totally agree. When I first started going to Al-Anon many years ago, I was convinced that it's principles should be part of high school curriculum!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When all else fails, you can walk away permanently, from the dysfunctional person.
Can't walk away from myself though

I have my own set of dysfunctional patterns even if I'm not reacting to, or interacting with, another person.

I can't change the past but I can change today, and *for me* that takes more then walking away from someone else or some day my kids will be on this forum venting about their crazy mama and how the dysfunction endlessly trickles down hill through the generations.