Notices

Yoga?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yoga?

Hello
I'm 1 month sober and starting to think about lifestyle changes. I've re-started at the gym and ordered the Allen Carr & Tolle's 'Now' book as trying to become physically and mentally healthier.

Anyway,I thought about yoga. Does anyone do it? Has anyone tried it? Is it beneficial. I want to combine light exercise/relaxation and achieve mental peace/calmness if at all possible and wondered if this would help

Thanks
JHE
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

YES!!!

I have been practicing yoga for a few years now. I love it AND need it. It's done wonders for me both physically and mentally. I highly recommend it ! It' much more of a workout than a lot of people think. Research ( google ) the different types of yoga to find the one that fits what you're looking for. I practice an Ashtanga Vinyasa, which is sometimes referred to as "Power yoga", but there are many different types. There are also free online yoga practices that you could try out before you actually have to spend money on a DVD or a class.

Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been doing yoga for about 12 years. It makes you thinner, lighter, stronger. It's good for your head, too, in that if you do it right, it gets you out of your head, and into your body.

Go for it!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Another one for yoga. I haven't been doing it lately, but when I did it religiously I loved it. You will feel amazing. Just try it.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow,thank you for the responses. It sounds just what I'm looking for.

The classes are at the health club I go to-it's Hatha yoga,not sure what that means.

I shall call and book a space tomorrow-hopefully they have availbility
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes it is great. you definitely cannot go wrong with it.

i generally consider kundalini yoga to be more focused on energy flows, meditation and breathing techniques, while other styles are more fitness-related.

overall it would greatly depend on the instructor and you should try a few different ones to find the one that works well for you. there is a wealth of material about different styles available via a quick google search.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep I love me some vinyasa. You may want to try a few different places to find what what you like.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried yoga...it's great to get intouch with yourself and strength/flexibility. However....haha....I recommend ZUMBA!!! Most fitness clubs have classes in it...it's great to sweat out all your anxiety, dance around like you're a video vixen, listen to great music, and have that dance club feeling with other women.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, yes and yes, Yoga is the best!

I've been doing Yoga forever and there is nothing like it for staying in the moment. You have to clear your mind to focus on the moves your body is doing and it's perfect for that.

And 'The Power of Now' is a great book.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
I tried yoga...it's great to get intouch with yourself and strength/flexibility. However....haha....I recommend ZUMBA!!! Most fitness clubs have classes in it...it's great to sweat out all your anxiety, dance around like you're a video vixen, listen to great music, and have that dance club feeling with other women.
Thanks Dancing girl.It sounds very energetic!! I am overweight,unfit and yoga sounds more gentle(or perhaps not!!)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, yes and yes, Yoga is the best!

I've been doing Yoga forever and there is nothing like it for staying in the moment. You have to clear your mind to focus on the moves your body is doing and it's perfect for that.

And 'The Power of Now' is a great book.
Thanks Anna,that is the sort of thing I am looking for-it sounds perfect

I'm hoping the book arrives tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your feedback

I am definitely going to start. I will look around for more places, though I live in quite a small town so doubt there will be a huge choice.I have found one though and there are 2 different teachers at my gym so will try both those too

I've never been a fan of exercise classes but am really excited now-a new me-a new start
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Personally, the trick with yoga and loving it was for me to try many different classes and places. I don't really pay attention to the type of class, although I prefer heated room vs. non-heated. Otherwise, you really can't go wrong.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The yoga I did combined a few different styles, I think. We started out with some seated breathing exercises, some stretching while lying on the floor (sorta), and some standing poses like warrior, tree, and a few others. The instructor would finish each class with a progressive relaxation exercise for about 15 minutes. This invariably included me snoring for the last few minutes.

Relaxing? You betcha.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Lost & Fresh start

there is a class on tonight which I am hoping to attend if they are not fully booked

I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I've taken the plunge and going to a class tonight.

I am so nervous though. I think the rest of the class will all be great friends and I'll just be there on the sidelines. Social anxiety is awful isn't it. I've avoided all situations like this throughout my drinking years.

What is the best thing to wear?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
I've avoided all situations like this throughout my drinking years.
perhaps this is exactly what you need right now. to do the opposite of being isolated and drunk. you are trying to better yourself and face your anxiety... the reality will be awesome, i'm sure of it.
please come back and post about your experience. i hope you will be delighted.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think it's awesome to do that jhe! You should wear your most comfortable and loose sportswear.

Let us know how it went! Im sure you'll have fun, and it can make you stronger, mentally and physically.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Justhadenough, the class I attended saw people come in twos, threes, and singles. There was almost no talking during the class, except from the instructor, and very little chit chat before or after.

Typical attire was just the stuff you see at any place where women exercise - stretchy pants, running shoes, t shirts and tanks. People were all shapes and sizes, and ranged from beginners like me to pretty darned good at it. There was nothing fancy or clique-ish about the whole thing.

I was the definitely the oddball in this class, I went with The Resident Love Goddess, and I was the only male. I am not sure what those stretches did for me that are 'good for your ovaries and when you are on your cycle', but I don't think they did me any real damage.

Just go, be in the moment, and you will enjoy it. Good for you! Report back, ok?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am not sure what those stretches did for me that are 'good for your ovaries and when you are on your cycle', but I don't think they did me any real damage.
LMAO - I found this very funny

And I love Yoga, but don't have much time anymore, can only go about once a week!