Notices

Giving up smoking!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving up smoking!

Hi everyone,

I haven't been posting as much recently because life has been very busy (which is a wonderful thing!) and because I'll be out all day tomorrow I thought I'd post tonight that tomorrow I've not drunk any alcohol in 4 months and I will also be quitting smoking! I've got my patches and inhalers ready and I CAN do this! I'm actually quite excited.

Thanks to you all for your incredible support. I had 2 months sober when I joined this site but the last 2 months of being on here has really helped me - I have learned so much about myself through relating to other people and you have all made me realise that I can never drink again, and I'm 100% happy with this. Life is amazing sober - I never thought I'd be this fulfilled.

All the best to everyone and hope you're all doing well in your sobriety.

Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck to you MrsKing,i quit smoking the same day as i quit the booze....My only advice is just make sure you got a good supply of fruit around and plenty of hard boiled sweets,pear drops are my fave....Like i said,i wish you well and good luck....
Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck. Keep us posted. I aim to quit smoking when I'm 6 months sober. I did try in the first month but it was a disaster!
Will be rooting for you x
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Hi, congrats on the 4 months! Glad to see you here again, I always love your posts and threads.

I used nicotine gum to help me quit in the first 2 weeks. I use a lot of the tools I learned from quitting smoking to help me quit drinking. I am sure it would would work the other way around. It took me a good 2 years of not smoking before I really felt in the clear, but I am a tough case
Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Luck and I'm sure that you can do it. I haven't ever tried with patches before. I only ever used them when traveling and couldn't smoke. Just remember that 1 cig resets the whole cycle of craving the nicotine.

I'm on my last pack right now and will need to quit again soon too. I found in the past that quitting cold turkey is really the only way for me. The first 3-5 days were hell, especially the first 2 but after those 5 days I was totally over it. The thing that worked for me was to remain calm and realize how childish that feeling really is. It's ONLY a minor panic attack. When you realize that it gets easier. I told myself that I felt like the little kid lost in the supermarket looking for mom and I should really get over it. For me that really is the same feeling I had when I "needed" a smoke. It worked.

The above poster mentioned fruit and snacks and thats exactly what I used before too. Lots and lots of fruit. I probably ate 10+ plums and 4-5 bananas a day when I quit lol. Then a few months later some "friends" talked me into going outside to smoke with them and it was all over that fast. I also think that not drinking any soda at the time might be why I could quit easier because usually I am a 6 pack a day diet pepsi drinker. I never have been able to quit when I was drinking soda and then I read this:

Aspartame poisoning can cause symptoms that affect you psychologically. Psychological symptoms impact your mental well-being and how your moods are regulated; while these symptoms may not seem dangerous they can lead to poor decision-making and impaired judgment.

Read more: Symptoms Of Aspartame Poisoning | LIVESTRONG.COM

That also may explain why the way I quit drinking worked so well too. I drank tons of water and gatorade and almost never drink soda now.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all! It's 4.15 PM on my first day of not smoking and so far, so good! It almost seems a little TOO easy, somehow, but I'm putting that down to the patches which I've never used before... they seem to be doing a great job at preventing cravings. In fact, I think I've had the desire to smoke only twice today... the inhalers are really helping with that, too.

I see you all suggesting fruit... which I don't unfortunately eat! I'm on the Atkins diet (it's really not as bad as you probably think it is!) so fruit is out of the question for now, though in a few months I'll be adding it back in. Same goes for sweets. Right now I don't really feel the need for it, though. Could just be that it's the first day of using patches and I'm a little zoned out because of it.

imaquitter... sounds like you really had it sorted. I've attempted quitting smoking before - the longest being for 10 days (yeah, not great) and all the times I've started smoking again were due to people around me smoking. It's impossible for me to stay away from smoking completely as my husband smokes and most, if not all, of my good friends smoke. So I'm just going to have to stay strong. I really think understanding AV is going to help me a lot with this.

Anyway, thanks again guys. Hopefully it stays this easy... though I'm sure it won't.

All the best.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on reaching the four month mark, MrsKing. That's awesome!

I quit smoking cold turkey six months ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. In fact, my last smoke was six months to the day of my last drink. It was somehow important to me that I kick both of these habits in a way that associated both of them with the past, like a common date.

The first week of no smokes was the hardest. I was irritable and dealt with body pain. However, after about Day Four to Five, you may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to not smoke. I think from there on out it becomes a matter of staying away from places, people, situations, that will tempt you and serve as a trigger for that desire. I wasn't comfortable around people who were smoking for a couple of months but now I hardly even think about it!

Best wishes on your new goal!
~b
Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrat's on your 4 Months without a drink. I am starting today!! Good luck, with your quitting smoking...it is hard but doable. It's been a year half for me. I quit cold turkey! It took me a good 3 Months to get over it but, easier each day after day 5. Fight it!!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You CAN do this! I quit smoking almost 2 years ago for the last time. I finally realized that it was never an option. Not even one because it just leads to more. At first there were some hard times but I rarely (if ever) miss it. I went cold turkey. I did read Alan Carr's book many years ago and I think it helped when I was finally ready to do it. It's kind of like the AV-a little nicotine monster egging me on to just have a little.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Mrs King - on both your milestone and your decision

D
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((MrsKing))) - I quit using (crack was my DOC years ago), and tried to quit smoking a few times. Lately, I ran out of money and smokes. There wasn't much of a a choice.

To be honest, I was irritable as could be for a few days. I'd warned my family. In all honesty, though, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I DID eat a lot...gained about 20 pounds, have joined weight watchers and lost the weight.

I've been quite for about 6 weeks. Saved a LOT of money and no longer smell like an ashtray. I will say, however, that stress in my life, lately, made me want to smoke. I decided..cigarette...junk food. I chose the junk food. I will get back to weight watchers tomrrow.

It's the best thing I've done, other than quitting crack. I will say, it's not EASY, but it is do-able. What helped me was what I told myslef when I quit crack..."not an option...next?" with "next?" being a distraction. 5 years no crack, 6 weeks no cigs.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy