Notices

First timer... Need help dropping oxy/heroin habbit

Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First timer... Need help dropping oxy/heroin habbit

Hi there!!!
I am new to this. I have been taking oxy 30's for about 2 years now (300mg/day). About 6 months ago I started taking heroin because the pills were getting too expensive. I havent exactly been a good boy over the last two years but now I am seeking change in my life. This Thursday I am entering a 2 1/2 month program called u-turn for christ. It is for addicts/alcoholics who want to change and follow the lord. The problem is that I havent started to kick my habbit. The program does not detox you or provide any support for that. I am afraid of going there thursday and ending up kicking the oxy;s cold turkey, I know how painful the w/d's are and fear them more than anything in life.
My question is, what would be the best way for me to get off the drugs over the next three days with the leat amount of pain. I did not plan this program in advance, but after a long talk with the pastor of my church today, we both felt this was the direction I needed to go. I want to stop this habbit so bad but dont want pain from w/d or another addiction to a different substance like suboxone or methadone.
Any help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I dont really have any support from my family, they pretty much see me as a junkie and want nothing to do with my attempt at getting right in life. I am an emotional mess right now and just need a little help.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and in advance to those who reply with advice.

Josh
Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

be honest with the pastor, then seek medical help for detox

best wishes,
Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm I'm sorry to say that but I think there's no way you can quit without the usual amount of pain and irritability (and nausea and diarrhea and insomnia! I know how it sounds, I've also experienced it)
Did you stop already? How are you feeling? Any medical assistance?
Take some vitamins, drink tons and tons of water, and if you can't sleep or are too nervous, valerian pills and tea are very helpful, natural and safe.

I really wish you the best, hope you're ok, strong and safe. Keep coming here, you'll get a lot of support. And keep posting!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have started to drop my dosage and I am already feeling mild w/d symptoms. I am just know how unbearable it can be and once I go into the program on thursday I will be cut off cold turkey. I dont know how my body will react. Thanks for the help... Should I get a few suboxone strips for the next two days and try taking them instead of the oxy's??? Do you think that will help me get over the really bad two or three days of w/d?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I honestly have no idea, I'm not used to those exact drugs since I'm not from the US (I was taking heroin, then lots of codeine, that you can buy OTC here...)
I think you should take the smallest dosage possible the next 4 or 5 days (without feeling too sick I mean) and stop very gradually. I know everytime I stopped too quickly I relapsed, even when I was really motivated. How much are you taking now? Can't you take just a little with you when you enter the program? How are you feeling now?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so tired of the life that comes with this addiction. I cant wait to be free from the bondage oxycodone has on me. I have lost everything that I worked so hard for. My family, my business has gone down the tubes, and my friends have walked away from me. I dont know why if I want to stop so bad, I just cant do it. Once the w/d's get bad, I am running for those little blue pills.
I appreciate the feedback and help.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have taken 90mg's today. I feel mild w/d but it just seems to be getting worse already. Ive been taking so much for so long I know this is going to be hell. I relapse so easy when the RLS and cramps get real bad. It usually happens at the 24 hr mark for me. I have never gone more than 48 hours without the drug and I thought I was going to die when I did that.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You really may need some medical assistance to do it you know. I don't think on thursday you can just quit completely with no medical assistance, it would be dangerous. Why don't you do like sugarbear says? Especially if the program doesn't help with the physical aspects of withdrawal...
Let me know what you think about it! I think of you a lot, you can do this, and you'll find a lot of support here!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Sentso, I dont really know how to go about the medical aspect of it since I do not have insurance. Also, I didnt want to become dependant on any other substances like suboxone or methadone. I wouldnt mind trying for a coule of days during the worst part of w/d, but I wouldnt want to take it much further than that. I am just not familiar with the process once you go into a medical facility.
I will have to make a couple of phone calls and ask the pastor what he thinks also. This is such a nasty drug and I am already feeling so crappy.
I cant believe that you guys are replying to me and nobody knows me from a hole in the wall. Thanks for the help and support. It means alot to me.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I understand completely that you don't wanna take suboxone or methadone instead! I used to take suboxone cause it was cheaper, but to me, it was as much a drug as codeine or heroine before that. Especially because I used to buy it on the street.
Ask the pastor what he thinks, and ask some people here (there's a dedicated forum) what they think about it.

I know withdrawal is absolutely horrible, but you can do this, the worst part "only" lasts a week or so.

I hope you're ok. Take care
Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

how can I get past the restless leg stuff... I feel like jumping out of my skin right now. This is just the beginning and I am already having a hard time, Im in sooo much trouble.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Unfortunately my friend we make the bed we sleep in. I know the withdrawls will be hard but if you truly are sick of that life style, that little bit of pain will be a good reminder of why not to go back. But what about the pain now the lifestyle, the lies, going to the city/dealer, they may not be physical pain but emotional/spiritual pain, that is worse!

Detox in alot of cities are free, just call 311 and ask for the nearest detox by you and keep calling. If you keep taking matters in your own hands well look how well it is going. Do you truly think that you can control a drug your already addicted to on your own willpower, if you can, go for it. If you decide to go to a detox stay the course no matter how you feel or what your inner voice says. You can get through this, it might be rocky but trust me doing the hard part now will help you grow stronger than before. Get help, more help than the church, I love church to but a treatment center with an accredited license can help you along with going to church. You can detox safely around professionals, I used to work in one and when patients were given suboxone they were given out by a professional nurse and watched, they only took them for 2-4 days. Then the withdrawls were manageable, nut unfortunetly without ins. people didn't always get it. But the people were glad they were in a safe environment where they were not tempted to get more and keep the cycle going.

I hear excuses about avoiding pain, if withdrawling was so pain free there would be no detoxes or need for meds., make a decision, call 311, and live through the pain it will last only a week or so. Keep using and the pain will be a lifetime of misery, I hope I wasn't to hard but the truth will set you free!!!! God bless you on your journey!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Craig!!!
I can get through this... you might be right, maybe I need a detox center. I know one thing, you are right by saying the physical pain from this w/d is nothing compared to the pain this drug has caused me over the last two years in so many ways. It hurts to think about what I have become because of this powerful drug. I appreciate the hard truth sometimes because it is so easy to forget what I am fighting for while in the pain. The pain will be temporary but I know I am starting a new life by getting off of this crap. I cant wait to get my family back and just live a normal productive life again.
Thank you so much!!! God Bless
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sickofmyself
I have no personal experience to share but I know you'll find a lot of support here

we also have a substance abuse forum you might like to check out as well:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Jake, 19

Not sure if this is allowed, but for opiate withdrawal, taking loperamide stops/lessens withdrawals. It is the active ingredient in Immodium and other anti-diarrhea pills. It gives you no high, it is a completely non-psycho active drug, but it is an opiate itself and you can take it to stop the withdrawal symptoms while you quit the other opiates. I myself have done it many times and it makes quitting opiates easy - staying off them is the hard part.