Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Question...Does drinking too much make you lose your appetite?

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't seem to want to eat much these days. Late at night, when I'm done drinking, I'll eat whatever I can before I fall asleep, but during the day, I'm not that hungry, even when I should be. Sometimes, I feel hunger, but don't want to eat, because I have no appetite. So I just go smoke a cig...is this common?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, it is common. My father never wanted to eat because if he did, he wouldn't feel like drinking anymore. So, they never ate dinner until they were ready to go to bed. I didn't eat much when I was drinking, not because of that reason...hell, I'd drink a beer while I was eating, but because beer made me full and if I had to choose between eating dinner and drinking, the beer would win every time.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely has been true for me, since I stopped drinking I have had a normal appetite (except for the sugar cravings), but when I drank I would always eat right before I went to sleep so I could drink (I guess). I was never really sure why, but it certainly seems true
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, for me it was and it was another red flag I should have seen. I am hypoglycemic and it seems that the sugar in alcohol is nirvana for hypoglycemics. I would quickly lose all appetite for food when I was drinking.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

True for me as well - and cigarette smoking is also an appetite suppressant.

D
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is hypoglycemia reversible? I think my blood suger is too low alot, and the last time I went to the ER ( unrelated to drinking, or maybe it wasn't?)... when they tested my blood sugar it was low. I get light-headed alot during the day...worries me.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love to cook. I'd have plans to cook, but after a couple glasses of wine, I'd lose interest....my poor husband. Now I'm interested in both cooking and eating
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I called it eating cigarettes. yeah, there's a small buzz in smoking, too.

It's time to start living and re-learning how to live correctly, Carly! You can do this!!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

the longer the time i drank, the more my diet became liquid. it was pretty bad( and sick) when i wouldnt eat for 2-3 days because that would screw up a drunk.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I cooked for fun and a living for over my 20 years of drinking. And did just what you do, I would eat a huge meal just before passing out. So once a day if I was going to pass out, if I was on a 2 day binge where I stayed up for a couple days then I did not eat.

Yuk, thanks for reminding me of just how nice it is to eat when hungry.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it's very true that while drinking you dont wanna eat because you wanna get as intoxicated as you can, and food would disrupt that process. At least, I know thats why I choose to eat when I'm done drinking, as opposed to eating before, like a responsible person would, ya know "I should eat, so that I don't get TOO drunk"...lol. But it seems to carry over into the next day n the next n the next...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Yep, food got in the way of my drinking or made me sick when I was drinking. I eventually went from a healthy size 7 or 9 down to a size 1 or 2 and I am 5'10" tall. I am not a small boned person. I am 7 weeks sober, and am still trying to put the weight back on. I went to the free clinic and they gave me vitamins and iron, and a healthy diet plan. I am hoping to gradually get healthy again. It is taking forever for my appetite to come back, but I see improvements.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

perhaps try not drinking and see if your appetite comes back? ;-)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carly2332 View Post
I don't seem to want to eat much these days. Late at night, when I'm done drinking, I'll eat whatever I can before I fall asleep, but during the day, I'm not that hungry, even when I should be. Sometimes, I feel hunger, but don't want to eat, because I have no appetite. So I just go smoke a cig...is this common?
I went through this as well. I lost a lot of weight, and suffered from all kinds of side effects of this sort of drinking malnutrition - sweats, shakes, dry mouth, heart palpitations, puffy face, etc. low energy. I used to order take out food, then only take a few bites over an evening of drinking. It's really not a good sign. I took it as evidence of serious alcohol abuse, and a damaged body adapting to the abuse.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, yeah, I can totally relate to this! I would cook my daughter a nice healthy meal, then just sit at the table and have another beer while she ate it. Then, long after she went to bed, I'd finish my last drink and eat whatever crap I was easiest to microwave. I am so grateful to be living a healthier life—and even better, to be able to relax and enjoy my daughter's company, instead of obsessing over my next drink.

So Carly, one more reason to be putting it behind you, yeah?
Old 07-31-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I cook for a living and it's normal for me to not want to eat when I'm cooking. When I was drinking, I would have good intentions and make a meal but the wine always won out and I wanted room for it and did not want my buzz killed. Like the many posts above, I sacrificed nutrition for booze and at crash time would make a feeble attempt to eat then pass out. In the morning, my thought was breakfast will help this horrid feeling - nope, it really never did. Now, sober and fat and sassy - a healthy size 8. I do try to remember to eat something when I'm working because I too, get the blood sugar dip. I also try and avoid soda - drinking water or iced tea instead. Sobriety is a way good thing - come join us! Lots of room on the path, here!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but this pattern of not eating and drinking, or sporadically eating when drinking, led to my parents' diabetes, according to their doctors. Its worse when you combine cigarettes. It's like drag racing with your metabolism. My mother lost most of her foot this year. Consider it a sign that you can make positive changes in your life!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

This was true for me as well. I was practically living off the calories in alcohol and ****** food I would try to keep down while drunk or hungover. Scary stuff!!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ditto on all of the above. I am extremely underweight and do not get hunger pains and have to force myself to eat.

Being a smoker only makes things worse.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carly2332 View Post
Is hypoglycemia reversible? I think my blood suger is too low alot, and the last time I went to the ER ( unrelated to drinking, or maybe it wasn't?)... when they tested my blood sugar it was low. I get light-headed alot during the day...worries me.
Did they give you any advice in the ER? Your dr can give you good ideas on how to deal with hypoglycemia, too.

For me it's quite easy to manage. It's best to eat small amounts, often. I am always nibbling. Complex carbohydrates are the best eg, whole wheat cereal and breads, beans, etc. Caffeine with sugar is not good for me. And, I always carry some food with me if I'm out for very long. T