Notices

any help appreciated

Old 07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any help appreciated

Screwed up prety good last night. Went out for a bike ride - came back loaded! I do fine for a while, then fall off the wagon fast and hard. Wife and family are very concerned and frustrated. Looks like I need to try harder! Been to AA coupla times - never felt very comfortable there. court is going to mandate AA meetings as I am currently working on my fourth DUI. So I guess Ill try again! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I and millions of others have gotten sober through AA. I suggest if you have to go anyways, try getting involved in the steps. Get yourself a sponsor who has done the work. Check out the Big Book of AA. You can read it online. See if you relate to it.
What you described is a classic example of that strange mental blank spot in which all the memories of bad times, trouble and promises to stop seem to be no defense against that pesky mental obsession with alcohol that says "a few will be alright" or "this time will be different" and sometimes "ah f*** it what's the use anyways?" Without a program of recovery we are at certain times without defense against taking the first drink. The mental obsession with booze always beats will power eventually.

Good luck with everything. Hope it works out for you.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I think if you are on your 4th DUI, you should definitley take a step back and think about your drinking. I'm glad you reached out to us here. You are putting everyone at risk when you are drinking and driving like that, not to mention yourself.

I use this board as my recovery method, and AVRT which you can find in the Secular part of the boards. I wish the best of luck to you.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jesterman View Post
Screwed up prety good last night. Went out for a bike ride - came back loaded! I do fine for a while, then fall off the wagon fast and hard. Wife and family are very concerned and frustrated. Looks like I need to try harder! Been to AA coupla times - never felt very comfortable there. court is going to mandate AA meetings as I am currently working on my fourth DUI. So I guess Ill try again! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I don't believe you have to try harder, I believe you need to go to AA and surrender.
You never felt comfortable there because you likely never really wanted it. If the Court mandates it.. it just may be your lucky day. Grab it, don't analyze it or fight it. You and your family will be grateful down the line.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

It took me and my fourth dui to get here. I was never made to go to AA, I went on my own. I wish I could of gotten on the "gift certificate" program but we all get there somehow.

I dont know why you felt you didnt fit in, but I say give it a shot , since you have to be there. Let the seed be planted, and also just bring the body and the mind will follow.

Best wishes keep on posting.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, get real and get help before you kill someone and/or yourself.

Instead of looking for how you are "different" than some of the people in AA rooms, try to concentrate on the similarities. Keep going to different meetings until you find the one you like, that's what I did.......
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Courts can mandate that you go to a recovery support group, but it's unconstitutional (a violation of the first amendment) for them to specifically require that the support group must be AA. In some states you have to raise an objection to it on religious grounds before the unconstitutionality kicks in.

But the larger question here is: do you intend to quit, and if so, what is your plan for doing so? Not liking AA is fine, but it isn't a plan. Have you checked out SMART Recovery or any of the other choices?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jesterman

I think, no matter whether it's AA or whatever, you really have to want to not drink anymore.

Are you at that point do you think?

D