SMART recovery meetings?

Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

SMART recovery meetings?

Hi,

has anyone been to a face to face SMART meeting? I was wondering what it was like.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Oh yes, I've been to many, have even facilitated some although I'm not actively facilitating now.

Meetings typically start with a welcome and introduction, 5 minutes or so. Then there's a check-in period that varies, depending on how many participants are there. During check-in, the participants talk about how things are going and whether they have been struggling with any particular issue. Following that, a meeting agenda is agreed upon. That's nothing more than a decision about what the work for the day will be--what tool will be focused on, what exercise will be done, etc. The main part of the meeting comes next and varies depending on the agenda. That goes for maybe 40 minutes. Then we pass the hat and do a check-out about people's thoughts, and close the meeting. Meetings typically run 90 minutes.

Now that's the format. The "feel" of the meeting will, of course, vary some, but I have never been to any meeting where there has not been an atmosphere of support.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just joined SMART - haven't attended a meeting yet but intend to do so. Thanks for the info "onlythetruth"
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Thanks OTT and Josh3, there is one about a half hour away from me once a week and I may check it out.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by stairs View Post
Thanks OTT and Josh3, there is one about a half hour away from me once a week and I may check it out.

That's great! Let us know what you think!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello

I'm thinking of looking at SMART too and found a meeting in the next town. I'm nervous about speaking out to strangers though, at a first meeting. Does everyone tend to speak? Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Hello

I'm thinking of looking at SMART too and found a meeting in the next town. I'm nervous about speaking out to strangers though, at a first meeting. Does everyone tend to speak? Thanks
justhadenough,

There is a checkin at the beginning of the meeting where people introduce themselves, and have an opportunity to say how they are doing and if they have any issues they would like to work on during the meeting. So people DO speak briefly during that part of the meeting, but you don't need to share any more than you are comfortable with and you can say that you're just there to listen for the day. That will be respected. Many of us are nervous, especially at first--it is VERY common for people to be quiet, at least until they get comfortable.

I personally am an introvert and do not particularly enjoy talking in groups either! So I get that. Just take your time. It will be all right!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

anybody have experience w/ online meetings? the meetings in my state are few & far away.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Facilitator here as well. Meetings are as wide range as the people as well as facilitator. I kept a leash on mine, we checked in and then worked the tools. I also attended online meetings and they varied. I found the ones I liked, and attended those. The ones I didn't like, I didn't attend.

So give a few meetings a chance. You might just be surprised.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have attended Smart Meetings, found them helpful, was not pressured to speak, just introduced myself by first name and listened the times I attended.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, didn't see any SMART meetings in my area, either. Do like the AVRT thing, though, which I saw on here. Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm mostly familiar w/ AA, Alanon, Women in Sobriety, and here, and I have to say Here is great! It's not the face-to-face, but perty derned close. I've gotten something from all of the disciplines I've been exposed to, so I think if ya keep an open mind and try a few it helps.