Notices

Methadone & Recovery.....

Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Methadone & Recovery.....

I've been attending a few NA meetings lately & come across a huge debate. One guy wants to be the secretary for a meeting & has 2 years of clean time. The problem is he is on methadone & a few others opposed him & became hostile. The guy doesn't appear high or anything and currently is weaning off the methadone. Does anyone know what the official NA stance on this is? My sponser is in AA and every member of NA I talk to on this issue has a different opinion.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Hi Justfor1

This might help you have a better understanding regarding Methadone and other Drug Replacement Programs in NA.

Bulletin #29

Have a bless day
TB
Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when I was on methadone, I was told in NA I could not share, and could not celebrate clean time. I felt I was treated as second class. I was treated different at the meetings I showed up at. I got so mad, and left the rooms completely. I stayed on methadone for 7 years with no program, and 2 years after I weaned myself off not using anything in that time. Until I inevitably drank again and then ended up with a needle back in my arm.

This is a resentment I have worked hard to let go of, and mostly have, but it still lingers at times. I understand their stance today, As I feel more clear headed and feel more then I did on methadone, but how they handled it drove me out of the rooms as a newcomer. I see nothing wrong with urging people to be completely abstinate, but help them to do that. To me coffee commitments should open for someone on subs or methadone, but not sure about service positions higher. Thats just my opinion.