Notices

Starting Over

Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over

Hello, I'm new here and I have trouble expressing myself so i will try my best I'm a 19 year old just trying to be honest with myself and others for once in a long time. Today I wish to start over, when I say this I mean to accept the past for what it is, concrete and unchangeable. Today I wish to reach out to others instead of hiding myself and doing nothing for the future. I do not remember what being sober is, being my true self. What I am when I am drunk or high off drugs is not a true representation of who I really am. It's more like a man nervously bleeding out his grief and doing nothing for it expecting himself just to change. I need serious change, but with that comes time. I believe I can do this, but I cannot do it alone. So, I came here, starting over, seeking help to find myself again. For the users of this forum, any advice on how to make full us of it's information and stories to better my own recovery, and pathway to finding a better self?

Thank-you, Sean
Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think that was a really well thought out introduction ...Welcome...

To deal with my alcoholism I went directly to AA and there I've stayed...

Because you are useing alcohol and drugs...perhaps finding a treatment center
to de tox would be best. I know zero about how your
Canadian health system works....but we do have members here who do
and please keep in touch

You are so wise to start on your recovery at such a young age..
Congratulations.....
Old 07-29-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Sean -

I agree with Carol - that was a great post. It takes some real courage to admit we have a problem and reach out for help - some people never do.

It really does feel good being sober and knowing that you're doing your best. I worried that my life would be miserable without alcohol, but I took a chance and got lots of support here and I'm so glad I did!

Welcome to the community!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Sean

The best advice I can give for SR is read around as much as you like and post as much as you need to - these an amazing repository of experience wisdome and understanding here

good to have you with us
D
Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sean

Your post reminded me how I felt at your age. I was really struggling with my drinking then but I didn't know what to do (no internet back then, how did people ever find out things?!). I managed to get my drinking under control to the extent that I didn't have any immediate serious consequences (blacking out, being out there drunk in very public places and behaving really embarrassingly). In a way I made everything worse by hiding my problem and it took me another decade (and a whole host of other negative consequences) before I finally did anything about it.

So, I will join the potential chorus of people to congratulate you for facing up to this now You will not regret turning your life around, and if you ever have doubts then there is a load of people here who can point out that it most definitely only gets worse if you carry on drinking/using.

I'd recommend joining the Class of July/August thread so that you can get continual support from people who are quitting at the same time as you. Some people start their own thread and use it as a journal. Coming here often helps keep me grounded and accountable and responding to other people posts makes me examine my own relationship with alcohol and what I am doing in my recovery.

Really glad you're here x
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Thank you and Welcome

I cant imagine what life would of turned out like if I would of been mature enough to check myself at your age.

But I dont regret it now, hopefully I and countless others lived that ugly road of addiction for you.

Keep on growing your awesome.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Sean:

Bob from Leamington here.

You'll find a lot of good info here AA Alcoholics Anonymous London Ontario Area Meetings

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

All the best.

Bob R