Notices

Day 4 and sailing!...but bored.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and sailing!...but bored.

It's day 4 and the best word to describe is bored. Without the drunken blur, there's this incredible focus--which is good--but it is unsettling and almost uncomfortable. I just don't know what to do with myself. I find I don't want to talk much to others. I am longing for quiet, but that just doesn't happen often in a household of five! I have been keeping myself busy this weekend working on some paintings.

I just really don't understand the lack of intense symptoms after the length of time I have been drinking. The worst symptom was back pain which was gone in 12 hours. Yesterday I had the heebie-jeebies pretty bad in the late evening and was very itchy, but that is gone today. The weird thing is that I have had absolutely no craving for alcohol. I mean I've thought about it several times, but more out of habit that real craving. I've craved sugar and salt, but not booze. Weird.

I am eating healthily (with the exception of some of the salt and sugar above) and drinking pure, unsweetened cranberry juice, lemon water and a ton of plain water. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing but somehow I feel like I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Just thought I'd check in
Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to hear that you are doing well! Bored with a household of 5?!? LOL I have to escape this lonely house of mine for some noise every once in a while! That's awesome on eating healthy, I need to do that - I think I've been indulging a little too much on food since my quit date. Get a good book or go out for a walk or something!! Have a great week!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing well and hopefully things will continue that way.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it takes a little while to adjust, irrespective of whether you've felt your withdrawal or not, soulgypsy

I'd give yourself at least a couple of weeks to find your emotional level now that you're sober
Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm feeling like this might just be a "honeymoon period". I'm happy, but nervous about what might come...thanks, guys
Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Cool glad you are well. Thanks for checking in.

Did you know the term "honeymoon" is all about drinking. Back in the day in Egypt when 2 people got married. It was up to the brides father to supply a moon's(month) supply of mead(honey beer). And there ya go honeymoon was born.

Sorry dont know why I thought of that but, keep doing what your doing.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ya the boredom can be rough. I drank because of it. My head loves to latch on to it too. Praying has been working for me. Sometimes the boredom leads to depression and doing something productive to occupy those times just ain't gonna work or happen. Prayer and meditation seems to quiet my noggin. Thanks for talkin about it. Stay.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lol, thanks for sharing that fun info. No honey(meade) for me!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Boredom? Nothing was more boring than watching me sit and stare for hours, only moving to find my bottle again. Drying paint at least gives a room some character.

That idea that the other shoe will drop and you will fail does not come from you, Soulgypsy, it comes from the voice of your addiction. Your addiction has an idea that its days are numbered, and is struggling and pulling out the stops, trying to make you believe that you can't do it.

But you can, you see. You can do it. These ideas, no matter their source, are just that. They are just ideas, and you do not need to act on them. They come and then they go, and you remain, strong, courageous and sober.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, freshstart. I needed to hear that.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Soul, my experience this first four days has been somewhat similar: virtually no pain, no particular problems save my temper flaring up a couple of times - - although that's really not out of character for me. But I don't know if I would use the word bored to describe my fourth day of not drinking. I have been intentionally staying busy so that I have not had a lot of time to contemplate the idea of not drinking. All that said, I am fortunate not to have experienced physical withdrawal symptoms. I am intrigued by what Dee said about waiting a few weeks to see what the new norm mentally will be, as this is the main reason I decided that I needed to stop.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

soulgypsy, Congrats on 4 days!

blueshades, give yourself at least a year, it all keeps changing!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

One thing I've never been ..is bored in AA...
So many people to assist ...so many ways to be of service..
I can see people changing their lives for the better in each
meeting I attend. An expereince I'm so grateful to have.

I certainly hope all our newerly sober members will find
something that gives you purpose and joy...

no it does not have to be AA there is no wrong way
to recover I am shareing my expereince...AA has never
run a membership drive