Notices

I think I am an alcoholic

Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I am an alcoholic

my mom just saw the light. She realized that she is an alcoholic and that is why she drinks. It finally makes sense to her now.

I began to reexamine my relationship with alcohol. I haven't abused it to the same extent that she has, but I realized that I may, possibly, might, may be be an alcoholic as well.

I currently don't drink often because I am trying to conceive a baby, and I know that if I were to give my baby fetal alcohol syndrome it would be before I even know I am pregnant. Also my husband doesn't like me to drink because when I do, I drink to excess to the point that it scares him.

I went to a meeting with my mom the other day "for support" I could tell she wasn't getting the most that she could out of that meeting because she was withholding information, or trying to be continuous in the lies she'd told me... anyway she couldn't get the most out of that meeting because of my presence there.

For the first time in a long time I feel like I am the only person in the world who has ever encountered this situation. Has anybody here ever been in a similar situation? What did you do? how did you deal? how did it work out for you? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm pleased your Mom is now seeking recovery and also
glad you are considering what is best for your future...

Welcome ...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well my family before me was almost all alcoholics and addicts. But I only went to a meetings and rehab visits for my mom. I always drank and used after those meetings, it took me many more years to come to grips with my addictions.

So welcome and ditto what Carol just said.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ma**ied To Addict

Husband An Addict

My husband is an addict. He is now home from Rehab. I only looked at myself as ever having an issue with alcohol after he was gone. I started to realize how much I drank on a given night. I stopped completely once he was in rehab and haven't had anything since. We are now sober together. Every day is a struggle, especially since he goes to NA meetings daily, which is great for him but leaves me empty at times. And we are trying to turn our marriage back around. Things are good, we are taking it one day at a time. I have been reading through these forums and decided to join. It is amazing to realize there are other people going through the same things that we are. Thank you all.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's good to hear that your mother is working on her recovery, and that you too, are looking at your situation.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR sobrietyplz

Perhaps the best solution is to go with your mom a time or two more until she feels comfortable enough to go on her own - and then maybe you could find a different meeting for yourself?

D
Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sobrietyplz.
My fiance is also in recovery, and he's pointed out that it would be best for us to go to different meetings, so that we can share freely. It's likely that will happen anyway, with me going to ones nearer the university, and him going to ones nearer the flat.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR sobrietyplz

Perhaps the best solution is to go with your mom a time or two more until she feels comfortable enough to go on her own - and then maybe you could find a different meeting for yourself?

D
She is comfortable on her own. She is not comfortable with me there with her.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I misinterpreted where you said you went with her for support

I'm not in AA, but it still seems to me both of you would probably benefit from having your own meetings to go to - having a relative there might make a fully honest share difficult?

D