Notices

SR - A trigger?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR - A trigger?

Maybe a strange question, but, does anyone else find that from coming on here to stop yourself from drinking it sometimes has the opposite effect? Sometimes reading about alcohol on here actually makes me want to drink
Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can slightly relate-if I start to read a post that talks in depth about drink I just move on to another.The mods do a great job of making sure posts don't glamorize/encourage drink
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anything that makes us slightly uncomfortable is likely to have that reaction in the early days, beerbottles - whether it's SR, AA, or an argument, an ad for beer on the TV - anything can instinctively make us think of the things we used to use...

The addicted part of us would like nothing better for us to not think about our problem.

Keep on going
Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeh, I know it's everywhere and I'm acknowledging to myself these early days will see me finding many many things a trigger. I guess all I can do is plod along and hope that in time these reactions lessen and are no longer my natural reaction
Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SR and my January classmates are a major part of my sobriety maintenance. I personally have never felt a desire to drink from being here. SR is part of my recovery and daily accountability. My powerlessness over alcohol is lessened by the strength of my SR family and they truly help me make my life much more manageable. I highly recommend class involvement - it makes a tremendous difference to have such understanding at your fingertips. Keep on the path, it's gets better and better, one day at a time.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zee

I had a desire to drink the other day THEN came here and posted about it. I was thoroughly dissuaded.

You are right, alcohol is socially acceptable. Thats what makes it harder for us.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've heard that said before, but it could be that subconscious part of your brain looking for things to trigger you!
As for me, I know that if it wasn't for SR I would without any shadow of a doubt be drinking right now. And then I would blackout, and wake up sometime during early evening not sure if it was day or night.
No thanks. So grateful that life is in the past for me!x
Old 07-29-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The stories of strength from people here on SR keep me going strong. I guess it has the opposite effect.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Avoidance is a usefull tool if i feel grim. more often than not though i prefer to deal with my wayward urges and yes i do get the odd one when i read some things here. I'd call it an urge or whimm though as it's quite small in duration and intensity , i havn't had what i'd call a full on craving since i quit for good and felt completely happy at using the word never in relation to me and drink .

Bestwishes, M
Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, I know what you mean - posting about how I used to use can definitely make me think, man I could use a beer.

But so does: the sun coming out, having a bad day, having a good day, getting up in the morning, starting the chores, finishing the chores and sitting down for a minute. I'm kind of screwed all day haha! At least here, there's always a bunch of people ready to say nooooo - you don't want a beer. You hate beer, remember? It tried to kill you.

So overall, SR wins out

xx
Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

But so does: the sun coming out, having a bad day, having a good day, getting up in the morning, starting the chores, finishing the chores and sitting down for a minute. I'm kind of screwed all day haha! At least here, there's always a bunch of people ready to say nooooo - you don't want a beer. You hate beer, remember? It tried to kill you.
guffaw ! now i know how john malkovich felt in that film ..
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Somewhere along your brain cells, you seem to be pairing alcohol with something positive, then the trigger makes it more so. Pair your trigger thoughts with how badly you felt after a night of drinking--the illness, headache, how bad things were instead of with the thoughts that alcohol will make things better---they don't get better with alcohol, they only get worse (they means everything!).
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Triggers? I used to drink because it was a day that ended in a y. I didn't have any triggers. Unless you counted breathing out or breathing in.
What I do know is that there have been times (since I started trying to quit) when a little switch flipped in my head and absolutely nothing would have stopped me picking up a drink. So I did.
Now I have moments when I want a drink. Mostly, they pass. They pass because I pick up the phone or post on here. Which is good.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Watching certain movies and listening to music can be a trigger for me.