Notices

Energy Level During Recovery Period

Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Energy Level During Recovery Period

Hi all,

I have just entered Day Four of no drinking and things are going well. I've kept myself very busy Friday evening and all day today. As a result, I have hardly even thought about taking a drink. The problem is that I'm wired for sound! Even after three plus years of physical activity I still feel the need to go for a long walk.

Does anyone else have experience dealing with life after the body is no longer subjected to the depressive properties of alcohol? Does anyone have suggestions about how to deal with it?

Thanks to all of you on SR who have offered words of encouragement over these three days!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats and keep moving forward. To grow in this recovery process is just the coolest thing in the world.

I chuckled about the walk, I have been walking everywhere for two years. Due to losing my drivers license. But in sobriety I even after all walking in the day, I still go for long walks at night. Its just so peace and quite then.

But oh man so much to do now my day is not filled with the chase. Chasing that next drink all day and night. Ugg. no thanks .

Keep it up.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi blueshades

does wired for sound mean excess energy? cos my problem was very much the opposite

I'm glad you're feeling energetic tho

D
Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's excess energy but not off the charts. I've now been up 16 1/2 hours. Still, I helped a co-worker move for over two hours, went to an outdoor party for another two, and did an hour of gardening back at my house. All of this was done in excessive heat. I should be out like a light bulb.

I will say that in the half hour since I posted this the soreness of today's adventures is starting to set in. It looks like I'll be hitting the hay after all.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry wrong spot
Old 07-29-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea, I had a lot of energy in the beginning. Evenings were a bit tough as I used alcohol as a night-cap. My first couple weeks, I had a lot of energy even with little sleep.

I'm not sure everyone experiences this, but at about 3 weeks to 5 weeks sober, I'm exhausted... but I'm going through a lot with no money, no roof over my head, and a lot of related stress.

Beginning to feel better and feel more motivated when I get up off my butt and do something productive.

Keep rockin'!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Really early on I did have some excess energy, but that didn't last long because I also had trouble sleeping and eventually had the opposite problem. It all evened out though. The first few weeks can be pretty rough physically.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Blueshades good job on Day 4. I haven't had any excess energy at all. I've been exhausted the whole two weeks. On the other hand, I am a very busy person and would be tired anyway. I do find I'm not as "frazzled" and am able to get more done in the same amount of hours. I also think a lot is I'm finally able to relax more mentally and it feels good to slow down. Naps are my reward for not drinking lol

Glad you are doing so well!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. Today was another day of high physical activity after a short amount of sleep. I am feeling the soreness of yard work and other weekend chores though, and I'm pretty sure that I will be able to settle in reasonably early and get a good night's sleep to start my week off right. That is unless I spend too much time on SR's message boards again.

Thanks again. You all are great. Day Five tomorrow!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, Blueshades.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, that was me last night exactly! I though I would crawl out of my skin I was so wired!!! It is much better tonight. Hopefully you are better too! I wish you the most peaceful of dreams tonight!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soulgypsy View Post
Oh my gosh, that was me last night exactly! I though I would crawl out of my skin I was so wired!!! It is much better tonight. Hopefully you are better too! I wish you the most peaceful of dreams tonight!
Soulgypsy, I am (a little bit) calmer tonight than last night. Since we're pretty much on the same time since our last drink, I almost sent you a message after I read your thread about feeling bored. I also find the clarity of thought and emotion somewhat unsettling. It's not an unwelcome feeling, but it occurred to me that some of the raw emotions I was experiencing were unfiltered by the booze that I've been using for far too long to mask my emotions and to deal with stressful confrontations with others.

Honestly, I am nervous about Day Five as I go back to what has long been a very stressful job for me. My pattern is the opposite of a lot of folks: I can easily dry out when I have down time and I'm not answering the dictates of a demanding career, obnoxious and gossipy co-workers, etc. When I'm working, it's not uncommon for me to start thinking about that drink a couple of hours before quitting time. My strategy this week will be to make sure that I have something scheduled immediately after work every day. In this way I hope to break the patterns of the past.

Continued best wishes!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Blue...Welcome ...

Have you considered finding a local AA meeting right after work?

I do hope you explore what is availble in your area for
continueing your sobriety.

Yes we can and do recover...many of us are doing
that very thing useing a variety of concepts/methods and ideas.