Notices

Everybody's different.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everybody's different.

I have been browsing through some of the threads on SR and I've noticed a number of posts that irritate me, simply because it seems that some people don't get the fact that different things work for different people. While it is true that we all share a common problem, our alcohol use has affected us negatively, and we want a way out, there is no one solution for everybody. Just like not every alcoholic/alcohol abuser is the same, nor are the methods for recovery that may work for some. AA, Harm Reduction, The Sinclair Method, going cold turkey.....all seem to have worked for some, so why can't we just be happy that someone has overcome their addiction/making progress, regardless of the method used? There is no "right" way. I say, "Whatever works for YOU". Congrats to anyone who has had success with overcoming this, regardless of how you got there!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Carly
I'm sorry you were irritated.

I'm not sure how long it's been since you've been here but we have an extra guideline in Newcomers now - debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum.

I found I got less irritated when I just focused on sharing my story and my experiences...and I realised everyone was trying, in their various ways, to do the same.

we're all on the same team

D
Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Go team Sobriety

I hope your at peace and I glad for you in any program or lack of that works for you. I try to keep growing each day. And remain open minded and teachable.

Keep coming back and posting your experience with us.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Carly2332 View Post
I have been browsing through some of the threads on SR and I've noticed a number of posts that irritate me, simply because it seems that some people don't get the fact that different things work for different people. While it is true that we all share a common problem, our alcohol use has affected us negatively, and we want a way out, there is no one solution for everybody. Just like not every alcoholic/alcohol abuser is the same, nor are the methods for recovery that may work for some. AA, Harm Reduction, The Sinclair Method, going cold turkey.....all seem to have worked for some, so why can't we just be happy that someone has overcome their addiction/making progress, regardless of the method used? There is no "right" way. I say, "Whatever works for YOU". Congrats to anyone who has had success with overcoming this, regardless of how you got there!
I agree, which may seem odd coming from someone who has apparently written posts that irritate others!

My fundamental belief is, and has always been, that different people are indeed helped by different things, and that all pathways which help people with this horrible "thing" we call addiction should be respected.

To the extent I have irritated people with my writings, I suspect it's been because I have been thought to push back too much against one particular recovery path. My motivation in doing so has generally been, however, to point out that objections to that path do not mean that one is doomed, and that the use of different paths is ok. I do this not to discourage people from following any particular recovery philosophy if that is what they want to do, but simply to point out that all paths are valid: not just one.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

No need to be irritated. We have people here who have used a variety of methods/programs to get and stay sober.

We do understand how hard this is, and you should do whatever works for you.