Notices

Cravings!!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings!!!!

When I was drinking, I didn't eat many sweets. But now that I'm 52 days sober!! I can't seem to get enough sugar. I feel like I have just transferred my addiction. I understand of course that alcohol is full of sugar, and now my body is trying to regulate. Well fine, but I want to be healthy, that's why I quit drinking! Any tips, beyond the medicine my Dr gave me for cravings? Any idea how to get motivated to eat healthy n exercise? A lot of people tell me to not be too hard on myself, one thing at a time. Well now that I'm sober I have to actually face my insecurities, and I'm not really comfortable in my own skin yet. Thoughts?? Help??
Thanks!!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice would be try and not do everything yesterday Julietta

Recovery is a process.

Some things, like the sugar, you can probably work on pretty effectively now - just common sense stuff...start replacing the junk food with things like fruit etc...make sure you're getting enough exercise...even if it's just a daily walk...and get enough rest.

Start small and work up bigger

As far as insecurities, and not being comfortable in your own skin...they're more complex problems and they will take longer...they take longer for everyone.

It takes a while to learn to live sober, and a while to learn to deal with some of the more long seated stuff. Counselling helped me in the beginning

Like I said I see recovery as a process, more of a journey than a destination

whats your support network like?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Personally I didnt worry about the things I was eating at the beginning. Sobriety was far more important, and if it helped me feel a little better than great.

As time went on the cravings subsided and I began working out again and being all around more active. So with that the diet changed also.

Congrats on 52 days , but remember your still very very new to sobriety, I am sure it took a lot longer than 50 days to get here. So those people are right, dont be hard on yourself. This is a whole new experience and learning process.

One day or minute at a time, and keep going forward in your journey.

Good love, Inda
Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

JuliettaStar, 52 days? You are FANTASTIC, thanks for the thread.

Most people don't realize that alcohol is actually the quickest acting sugar on the brain. In short, a "buzz" is actually a sugar high. The first research on sugar addiction in 2001 was conducted at Princeton University, and scientists have come so far since then that research is now focusing on how to address the problem (not whether or not it exists).

Article Source: Alcohol Abuse Or Sugar Addiction? Understanding the Link Between Alcoholism and Sugar
Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

lolly pops. slow to eat and only 51 calories in 2 Dum Dums. Hershey's kisses. Chocolate makes everyone feel better. Walking. Lots of walking. I have to make myself exercise and eat right. At 14+ months, I still have a "sugar tooth" and I am sober. It's a balancing act. Stay stopped, then work on the rest!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find myself eating a lot of biscuits at the moment. Well, when I go to meetings I do. I walk everywhere - well, everywhere that's not too far to walk. When it is, I go on the bus.
And no, it takes time to get 'comfortable in our own skin'. At least, that's what I'm told, and that's what I believe. Because I haven't got there yet.

Congrats on 52 days. That's really good.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

52 Days is awesome! And as for the sugar cravings...I have been told they may (or may not pass. So, I look for low calorie long lasting lollipops or hard candies to get me through the need for sugar. Or a spoonful of ice cream
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I'm at 55 days.. I can relate. I eat a banana with some peanut butter. Always works for me!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 52 days

totaally understand the sweet thing-I'm on day 26 and eating far too much ice cream
Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is it weird that I feel I have less cravings? Granted I'm only at day 14, but I honestly eat less than I did when i was drinking. Like today, I got two small cheeseburgers (the dollar menu kind) and a diet soda. I ate one burger on the way to the gas station. After I got gas I was traveling down the road for a few miles before I even remembered I had the second sandwich. Then while I was eating it I thought "I could have just got one of these.". And I'm a big man. 6'2" 290lbs..so I'm definitely not a scrawny person that barely eats.

It's strange for me to be half way through a meal and want to stop eating. Dinner for me used to be a 2-3lb steak, a ton of mashed potatoes, and 4-5 drinks. Now a little piece of fish and some rice and I'm fine.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Undrunk since Jan28 2012

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Personally I didnt worry about the things I was eating at the beginning. Sobriety was far more important, and if it helped me feel a little better than great.

As time went on the cravings subsided and I began working out again and being all around more active. So with that the diet changed also.

Congrats on 52 days , but remember your still very very new to sobriety, I am sure it took a lot longer than 50 days to get here. So those people are right, dont be hard on yourself. This is a whole new experience and learning process.

One day or minute at a time, and keep going forward in your journey.

Good love, Inda
So true!!! I tried to quit smoking about a week after I quit drinking, and really quickly had to decide if it was better to fail at everything, or focus on one thing at a time...
Old 07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think the sugar thing seems to be VERY common. I know it was true for me, too. I decided that the only way to not crave it was to cut it out completely - it really works. I limit my carbohydrate intake and don't eat any sugar at all. It really does stop the cravings for sweet things.

It is true, though, that it's most important right now to focus on your sobriety. Sugar may not be the best thing in the world, but it's nowhere near as bad for you as alcohol. Give it time and the cravings will probably go away by themselves anyway, as soon as your body has balanced out and is used to your now sober lifestyle.

Congrats on your 52 days. That's wonderful

All the best.