Notices

Lazy and lacking direction

Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Lazy and lacking direction

Newly sober here. I came out of rehab guns blazing, full of energy, goals, and a positive attitude. Now, nearly 60 days in, I'm flatlining. My cravings are non-existent, but I've lost interest in work, relationships, etc. All I want to do is watch TV and play computer games. I feel zoned out. I basically don't want to do anything. I do have a sponsor and go to at least one meeting a day. I tried to read, but cannot focus for more than a few minutes. I also am having trouble sleeping. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!:help
Old 07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on 60 days sober!

It does take time to adjust, but if you're concerned it might be an idea to talk to your dr. It could be possible that you're depressed. It might clear up in the next month if it was due to drugs/alcohol, but if you were depressed before you began drinking/using, it might be something your dr could help with.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Holly

A lot of us feel a little flat after stopping drinking. I kinda assumed that all I needed to do to make my life perfect was not drink...

it turned out I had a lot of other things to work on besides

Anna makes a great point too about seeing a Dr if you're concerned.

The main thing if to be patient...building a new life, one you can be happy in, takes a little bit of time...don't get disillusioned

I'm not a Dr but perhaps this link may also help:
PAWS « Digital Dharma
Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This might be yer dreaded PAWS, or post acute withdrawal syndrome. You can google it and see if you can relate.

Common symptoms include impaired cognition, irritability, depressed mood, and anxiety; all of which may reach severe levels which can lead to relapse.
It came, and it will go, but there is no reason to pick up again. This flatness you are feeling is better than the despair and self loathing you would be sure to experience on the other hand.

So, stay the course, full speed ahead, and be gentle with yourself. Hang in, your future is at hand.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you!

Wow! So many replies so soon! And all very helpful. The PAWS info and link were very good and seems to fit.

I just seem to be aggravating my anxiety/depression/frustration by focusing on what I'm not doing right now..... I guess I need to cut myself a little slack. I just keep obsessing that I'm STILL letting people down, because I'm STILL not getting much done, just like when I was using.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found myself doing that too - but I realised my expectations were a little too high.

it's nice to do things for other people...but it's good not to forget about our own needs and limits too...balance is important

D
Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel the same way. You're not alone.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! It's common for the early weeks and months of sobriety to be kind of 'rough'. Emotions are all over the place and depression/anxiety can make you feel awful. Don't give in now. It will improve with time, and as Anna says, if things don't get better see your doctor.:ghug3
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wonder if getting more exercise would help?
Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think Ziggy nailed it. I was going through the same foggy, unmotivated phase, and it started at day 20 something. I'm easy-going by nature, which leads to laziness when unfocused.

The days I get up early and run or get outside for more than 10 minutes, I swear makes my day so much more productive with less of the fogginess. I'll admit I still have days where I sleep in and am exhausted in the morning, but the disciplined morning exercise will get your body going even if it doesn't want to when you roll out of bed. Trust me... I've always been a night owl and have a bad habit of being active late into the night, but take a day and try going for a walk, rain or shine. Take that book and see what happens. You may fall asleep, but even when you wake up, I think you'll find yourself more productive than when you let yourself just float in the fog. I can see why it's so hard to quit... just remember you're going to feel worse if you go back to consuming flammable liquids.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I had to force myself to have at least a small level of discipline and I had to make myself do things....

It's like re-parenting yourself. Mood follows action. I had to perform those actions and slowly I felt better and better!

Best wishes,
Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Hollylooya, almost 60 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. I love it, "guns blazing". I'm 2 years sober and now realize that I'm just a 2 year old in my new life. What I have is 1 less problem than I had before, which makes it worth staying sober.