Notices

Hello

Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself. This is my first day of sorberness. I had lied to my family about this and can't put them through anymore. So I guess im reaching out here. I know I'm not the first person to do so but I've never really relied on or asked strangers for help. Not really sure how this will go but I guess it's a start.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Keep reading and posting youll find great support here. And well done knowing to ask for help. For that was the hardest thing for me to learn to do in sobriety.

Glad you found us.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rock ,
Welcome ,I found SR a great place to come when the voice in my head is tormenting me to have a drink .You ll get alot of support here.

Peaches
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. SR is a great site and I don't think we're strangers here, we share and battle a common dis-ease.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Friends

Hi you have taken the first step asking for help , if you don't mind me asking are you going to go to AA , you are among Friends here stay close to here and share ....Bob
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Rock. This a great place for support and wisdom.

Stick around, mate.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks I appreciate the welcome and it's not a fun road ahead but to know that there are people out there that you can talk too and support you means a lot. Even if you don't know them in person
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh buddy, but it really can be a fun road ahead. This is a good thing remember that.

The best ride of my life, and I am still on the road.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Glad you are here, Rock. There isn't a single person here who doesn't understand what you're going through. You're in the right place.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi bobdylan 45,

No I am not going to aa currently. Not to say I don't believe in anything, I am just not a huge fan of the religious aspect of it. My family has offered to send me to a detox facility, but I could never accept that knowing what I have put them through. They're not the riches people and the burden would be too much right now. That's why I reached out to this we site.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies!!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Rock. This is such a great place to find support. Read what others have to say, post when you like, there will always be someone around to respond to you.
This place has become a lifeline to me and many others. It really is possible to change your life. Stick with us x
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey Rock! Welcome to SR. Poke around here and read aa lot. So much good advice. This place is a gold mine. My best advice for someone just starting out is to put your head down, focus on not drinking today, every day and always be mindful throughout the day on what you can be doing to help your sobriety for the rest of the day. Live in the short term for now. Set obtainable goals. Don't worry about the week or the month or the rest of your life. That can get overwhelming and discouraging quick. Start coming up with a sobriety plan when you feel you can start planning a little more long term. I use AA a lot and i post on SR as a part of my plan for example. The main thing is that you come up with something so you're not stumbling blindly through sobriety. Welcome to the beginning of an amazing new way of life. If you do it thoroughly, almost everything will be different. Sobriety is a lifestyle change. Enjoy it. It's not a chore. I hope you find the support and fellowship you're looking for here. I did!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Rock

D
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I also use AA and I am not religious at all. As many of us in AA are. Plenty are full agnostic do some reading on it if you feel like it. In the BB the chapter of the agnostic, and what ever path you choose I know I support you.

And I am in Cleveland so I dont know about where you are. We have about 20 in patient treatment center that will take you weather you can pay or not. So I am sure there has to be some there for you.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well day one starts tomorrow again. I've made it a couple of days but I screwed up today and gave in. Not feeling too happy about it. I look as tomorrow as a fresh start. Worse part is I had a baptism for my niece today and after that I had a few. Feeling like I let her and my family down.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

what are you planning to do differently Rock?

D
Old 07-29-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As a few people have said already find a program of recovery, commit to it, and follow through. I used AA in the beginning because I needed a live support system and an example to follow. There are lots of recovery options though to use. Until I got serious about having a plan and following through I wasn't successful in obtaining sobriety. You might have to forgo social situations for awhile until you are more comfortable saying no to alcohol, I know I did. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Good luck!