Notices

Work and AA/Sobriety

Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Work and AA/Sobriety

For the longest time now, I've been equating my work with my self-worth. It wasn't until I got sober that I had a lightbulb turned on and realized I am not teh equivalent of my work. I work to pay the bills. It's not who I am.

So lately, a lot of my work stuff I used to place huge importance on, meetings and such, seem so trivial. I hardly attend them any longer, and if I'm somehow roped into one, I make up some kind of excuse to attend an AA meeting!

I wonder who else has had this awakening with their work and sobriety.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Important revelation lost. People running around workplaces all puffed up with their own self importance, it's quite laughable when we stop and think what we are doing and not many do.

CaiHong
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh I learned many things off myself. And really worked on the old selfish, self-centered, and vane only child that I remained for so long(39 years).

Love my meetings I try to attend at least 6 different ones a week. It is my safe place and happy place in one.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I love going to different meetings too. Hard sometimes due to logistics (work/bus schedules). But I always find a way. I consider it insurance - for when times are hard, like yesterday. I still have some sadness leftover from the past few days, so it was really important for me to go today. I just can't believe how different my life is. Only 7 months ago I thought my life was my work. If I did bad at work, I thought it was a personal reflection. That I personally needed to improve. Soooo turned around.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, one of the most important things I can do is take what I learn in the meetings and in the program and apply them in all areas of my life. Work especially. Its made me a better employee and co-worker. This is especially important when I am around those who know I am in AA. For them, I could be the only example of the program they see.

Bottom line for me, AA is not a place I go for an hour a few times a week. AA needs to be a way of life 24/7.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
For me, one of the most important things I can do is take what I learn in the meetings and in the program and apply them in all areas of my life. Work especially. Its made me a better employee and co-worker. This is especially important when I am around those who know I am in AA. For them, I could be the only example of the program they see.

Bottom line for me, AA is not a place I go for an hour a few times a week. AA needs to be a way of life 24/7.
Wow, you really are a thumper! LOL - just kidding. Seriously though, interesting take. No one knows at my place of employment. I wonder if I've become a better employee because of my sobriety. Actually, I know one aspect that's vastly improved - I show up early and can actually concentrate now.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I am sure you are a better employee, if you are working on those steps and applying them you have to be better.

I am with you BBThumper I as long as I apply those steps in my daily living I am just a better person trying to do the next right thing. I also am open about my AA life, I would have to be, I am always needing time to do functions and activity's.

Lost it has been sweet watching you grow in your sobriety, keep it rolling foward.

Stay on the Beam.

Good love, Inda
Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thank you Inda. Although I don't feel like I've changed all that much!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I was at a discussion meeting monday and we talked about that same thing.

Its so slow and hard for us to tell, but like when you have not seen someone in awhile and they say things like you lost weight or gained lol. Or your hair ect.... We didnt really maybe notice cause it is so gradual. But they notice.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Interesting Inda, you are probably right.