This IS a lawyer's job, right?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This IS a lawyer's job, right?

I get this text from my dad:

It's important that you give this message to Mom! The mortgage check for the beach condo bounced because the check I deposited last month was late. Anyway, she needs to call Wells Fargo and pay it over the phone from the bank account. The number is (and then he gives me the number). If it's not done in the next 5 days, they will report it to the credit bureau!!!!! Please give her this message!!

So I ask him:
Isn't that something you can tell mom's lawyer?

And he says:
No!!! There is not enough time. Plus the lawyer charges for everything at $400 an hour. I'd have to call my lawyer and then he would have to call her lawyer. It would take 3 weeks (there unbelievably slow) and cost around $400 just to get a damn message to her!!! Please!

I tell him:
You can try to work it out with mom's lawyer, you can try to work it out with the bank, but you can't work this out through/with me.

And he gets mad and starts calling me names, etc.

I don't know what I did wrong, if anything.

I feel like I don't have a father anymore, if I even had one in the first place.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Or the lawyer could have an articling student make the call at a much lower charge out rate.
Boy, your Dad stops at nothing it seems to get your Mothers attention. As awful as it is to be dragged in, it is your Dad's problem that he didn't have the required funds in the bank regardless of a late withdrawl. He should have been watching his account balance before allowing other charges.

Tell him that mistakes are expensive.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, my mom has a restraining order against him, but he doesn't seem to quite "get" that.

And this was an earlier text:
One reason the business is down is that I'm so depressed I can't get anything done. I'm always crying; it's hard to make sales calls when you're in my state of mind! But I'm trying really hard!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

choublak, I don't even think this is about your mom anymore. I think this is about him trying to get at you.

I don't know how you put up with it. It really is OK to block his number. If you don't want to cut all contact you can block his number and call him once a week (or once every two weeks, or twice a week or whatever) to check in and maintain your relationship and if he starts talking his nonsense you can hang up on him. You can call him back the next week. Repeat repeat repeat. He'll either get it or not but you won't be subjecting yourself to his craziness - and what he is saying and doing is completely nuts. It is not you!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
choublak, I don't even think this is about your mom anymore. I think this is about him trying to get at you.

I don't know how you put up with it. It really is OK to block his number. If you don't want to cut all contact you can block his number and call him once a week (or once every two weeks, or twice a week or whatever) to check in and maintain your relationship and if he starts talking his nonsense you can hang up on him. You can call him back the next week. Repeat repeat repeat. He'll either get it or not but you won't be subjecting yourself to his craziness - and what he is saying and doing is completely nuts. It is not you!
He gives me money. He also pays for my phone, which he has threatened to cut off. He's using that stuff to play me.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is an expensive phone.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is an expensive phone.
Huh? It's an iPhone.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I mean you are paying a very high price for it, just not in dollars.

If you are on the hook to put up with his abuse in exchange for money and the phone - that is a price you are paying. I'm sorry you are in such a pickle. Hopefully you are putting together a concrete plan to be financially independent as soon as you can. Financial independence is a gift and it holds freedom. It was pounded into my head since I can remember and I've been working my azz off since I was 14yo and I can't say I regret it.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I mean you are paying a very high price for it, just not in dollars.
Tell that to my mom. She says I've been "coddled" too much.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of both my parents acting like I don't know what. My mom has gotten slightly "better" but she has driven me crazy too.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't be sorry. They are crossing all kinds of lines, or at least your dad is.

You can't change them though, only protect yourself from the abuse.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Choublak, it might be a good idea to tell your parents that they need to get another mediator.

With all due respect to you and your situation, your parents are out of line, it's unfair, and cruel to continue to put a child in the middle of a war between his parents.

The only one who can stop this madness is you.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
Choublak, it might be a good idea to tell your parents that they need to get another mediator.

With all due respect to you and your situation, your parents are out of line, it's unfair, and cruel to continue to put a child in the middle of a war between his parents.

The only one who can stop this madness is you.
I agree with this statement. I was the youngest, by far, n my household, and as things deteriorated between my parents as he years went by, I was the one thrown in the middle. Whoever I was alone with at the time would trash the other and I was supposed to play into it. At first I did, and then realized it was their problem and not mine. I put a lot of miles on my car once I was old enough to drive! Saw lots and lots of my state!

Not sure how old you are, but being dependent on your Dad, if you are able to get a job and support yourself, is only going to keep you chained to him. And I think you realize where that's getting you.

Like what was said earlier by Thumper - that's an expensive iPhone.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

IMHO...Your Dad's request is legit. If you don't want to be in the middle then go buy your own phone; otherwise, you are shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I really hate that your parents are placing you in the middle ~ but you do have the ability to step out of the way ~

For me personally a phone isn't worth my serenity & sanity ~ saying NO to our parents & setting boundaries with them is sometimes the hardest ~ but it can also be the most beneficial to our recovery ~

As others have suggested - maybe see what option you can do to have your own phone ~ even if it is a pay as you go phone ~ taking control of your own life can be empowering!

Wishing you the best!
Rita
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Legit? Because Daddy is paying for the phone? I disagree.

Let's examine this a bit further. If a 16 year old is living with a divorced parent then is it legit for that parent to use the kid as a middle-man simply because the parent is paying all the bills? If a 20 year old is still partly dependent on a parent because of promises made and kept to help with university tuition and costs, then should that kid act as messenger boy? If a 30-year old accepts a gift then they remain obligated?

Nope, sorry. Parents can use a lawyer in a timely manner, or have a third-party mediator on standby, or ask a Priest or Minister to act as go-between, or all sorts of other ways to communicate that won't break a restraining order and won't involve the children.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
He gives me money. He also pays for my phone, which he has threatened to cut off. He's using that stuff to play me.
It sounds like he has power over you because of his money. I know other people who use their money to gain power over others. It's sick and wrong. The only way to end it is to take back your power. And the only way to do that is to earn your own money and buy your own phone.

L
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Legit, as in they will need to pay $400 for one message.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by sparklingeyes View Post
Legit, as in they will need to pay $400 for one message.
Exaggeration is a real word.
And even if the $400 figure is accurate, heck - I paid a moving van to get XABF's stuff out of my apartment. It was worth every penny, because the movers were the ones who had to talk to him, NOT me.

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Well, my mom has a restraining order against him, but he doesn't seem to quite "get" that.
Restraining orders typically say that the other person can't send messages via someone else, too, right? So following through with his request would mean that YOU were violating the restraining order as well as him, yes?

My mother used my college tuition and my bedroom at my parents' house as something to hold over my head.
I am so grateful to have my own apartment and job and pay for everything myself. You cannot put a price on freedom.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

I LOVE YOUR BOUNDARIES with your dad....!!!CONGRATS on that....keep it up...

your rite does not concern you....but maybe this phone he is paying is a headache and a CONTROLLING item...maybe its time to get rid of it?
only you know where your serenity lies......