Notices

Regaining Control

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regaining Control

It really is amazing how quickly you start to regain control of your life once you stop drinking alcohol. I am 16 days sober today and already I see a significant difference in both my well being and my ability to 'get things done'. Admittedly I feel a little tired and lethargic at times with 'head fog' and erratic emotions but it wasn't any different when I was drinking. At least I know this is temporary and will pass!

When I reflect on my life during heavy drinking binges (which could last for months) I hated not being in control of my life and always putting things off until tomorrow. The grass would need cutting, jobs around the house, things I promised the kids would just be 'shelved' until I could be bothered to do them. At work, emails would go unanswered, the inbox would increase and meetings would be postponed as I couldn't face talking to anybody. I manage a team of 35 people and most of the time my door was shut whilst pretending to be busy.

Well tonight as I drove home I felt different. I left work tonight with not a single email unanswered, nothing left in my 'pending' tray to action and 3 projects (albeit a little overdue) completed.

I read all the time on SR how alcoholism is progressive, that is so true,but you know what....... So is sobriety. It gets progressively better!

Have a great evening and don't drink.

Julynine
Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting... very uplifting
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I read all the time on SR how alcoholism is progressive, that is so true,but you know what....... So is sobriety."

Excellent point, I haven't heard that one before. I'm going to remind myself of this when I get discouraged. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love it...

Originally Posted by Julynine View Post
I read all the time on SR how alcoholism is progressive, that is so true,but you know what....... So is sobriety. It gets progressively better!
Thanks for the inspiring post Julynine Glad you're doing so well x
Old 07-25-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting, really enjoyed reading it!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing so well.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

In a similar boat here. Only 3 days on and I've already gotten so much done. Amazingly I may soon run out of chores and honey do lists.

Guess I better start making plans for these idle hands..