So much conflicting information

Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So much conflicting information

Why is it when you read the addiction web sites they say the addicts can get over the addiction with love and support if they decide to quit?

When reading these sites I see there is no hope? Everyone says leave he/she is not going to change. I understand that a lot of people here had invested most of their lives trying to help the addicts with failure, because the addiction was to strong.

I went through the same process 5 years ago, there abouts. The outcome of that was not good at all for the addict and the victim. I was lucky not to be in the relationship at the time. I had walked away. But the circumstances were different with his next girlfriend.

Should I paint everyone with the same brush? Do I draw the exact type of person in every relationship? Just one of those questions.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Redapples, I've read surveys, about addicts and sadly the success rate for overcoming addictions is only 5%. I see no reason for an individual in a relationship with an addict to give up and move on with there lives. Every person has to set boundaries of behavior they will accept from another person.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redapples View Post
Why is it when you read the addiction web sites they say the addicts can get over the addiction with love and support if they decide to quit?

When reading these sites I see there is no hope? Everyone says leave he/she is not going to change. I understand that a lot of people here had invested most of their lives trying to help the addicts with failure, because the addiction was to strong.

I went through the same process 5 years ago, there abouts. The outcome of that was not good at all for the addict and the victim. I was lucky not to be in the relationship at the time. I had walked away. But the circumstances were different with his next girlfriend.

Should I paint everyone with the same brush? Do I draw the exact type of person in every relationship? Just one of those questions.
Hi Redapples - I know exactly how you feel... this is how I felt when I first joined SR about 5 weeks ago - read my threads "is there ever hope of a loving relationship' & 'Am I losing my friend'..... these threads I wrote towards end of June / July
I know, it is so so hard!!And heartbreaking - and I find soooo depressing! It seems there is no hope???
Old 07-25-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sober for over five years. When I first began this journey, I lost a lot of "friends." There are some people who existed in my life that didn't understand what alcoholism is and tried to convince me it is okay to have one drink and I just needed self-control. But, the people who stuck around were the ones who are still here today, five years in: my family, my closest and truest friends, my church. The truth is, no one can determine whether someone is going to stick around in your life throughout the twelve steps, throughout the pain and the withdrawals, the uncertainty of the first year, sometimes two, of sobriety. One of the 12 steps is admitting the wrong you've done and apologizing it. And, sometimes, what destroys our relationships is continuing to fall into the same destructive behaviors that we fell into when we were drinking. My sponsor always told me that it's very hard to be friends/lovers/family during the first year. She was right. But, the people that really did love me for me and understood that what I was going through was not just a matter of lack of self-control, but a true disease, stuck around or came back. Forgiveness is a powerful thing. We have to be able to forgive ourselves for the harm we do as recovering alcoholics. I still look back in guilt at what I did while I was drinking. But, I'm much clearer now than I ever was. Relationships are different with each person. Look at family, persay. Your relationship with your mom, dad, siblings, etc... is different; the dynamics are different. No one relationship can be painted the same way. But, there is hope. And, dare I say, I would still choose to stop drinking, even if I thought I was going to lose even the most important people. Because, my sobriety came first and everything else after.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there is always hope, but i am not powerful enough to save anyone who doesnt want help. push myself on em and i push em away.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twokidwonder View Post
But, the people who stuck around were the ones who are still here today, five years in: my family, my closest and truest friends, my church.
And, sometimes, what destroys our relationships is continuing to fall into the same destructive behaviors that we fell into when we were drinking. .
Hi Twokidwonder... thank you for this post. This is where we (as the non-addicts battle). I joined SR because the love of my life, my darling H, is a cocaine addict. He has been in 'recovery' for a year (well now i believe he has relapsed) due to his peculiar behaviour and isolating himself from me... we have been in each others lives for 15 years. I joined SR because it broke my heart. I joined looking for answers and how to move foreward. And 99% of the responses have been that I need to walk away. Walk away?? How? What about love??? But from the side of the non-addict - I am now learning - that if I stay with my addict, as I am now, that it will just lead to more hurt and more heartache - that the only way to give H a chance to truly recover - to WANT recovery - is to let him go.... seems such a contradiction - I am his best friend - his lover - his life - if I leave him, walk out of his life - what is that saying?? We have been through EVERYTHING together.... so so hard!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red, I thought the same thing too. I thought I will find my son bring him home, once he is here back with his family that loves him so much he will not need or want the drugs anymore. I did this 3 times. It did not work and again I am a broken mess. Each time it is like starting all over again.
Thank God I found this site.
There is a letter a AS wrote to his mom that helped me to see that it WILL NOT work. I am using the letter now to help me when ever I want to hunt him down or beg him to come home. It is called "Let Me Fall All By Myself. You can find it on this site. I have printed it out so I have it available all the time.
Good luck to you
Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will ALWAYS have hope that my son will pursue sobriety. When/if he does, I will be there to be supportive.....not to support him. There is an important subtle difference with one itty bitty two letter word.

I love my son unconditionally but that doesn't mean that I unconditionally accept bad behavior. Unfortunately, addiction usually goes hand-in-hand with bad behavior. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to subject themselves to ongoing bad behavior and that's the reason that you hear people suggesting that it's a good idea to sever (or temporarily disconnect) the relationship.

If a person stays with and accepts bad behavior from the addict, they become a willing victim. This is why boundaries are so very important. In my experience, the two addicts (XAH & AS) I have lived with have absolutely no respect for boundaries. Nada. None. In fact, it almost seems that boundaries look like targets to them. lol. I simply choose not to put up with it. If I lay down boundaries and they keep violating them and I do nothing......who is really the problem here? Me. They'll keep doing what they do as long as it works for them.....that has more to do with human nature than addiction.

We can't love addiction away......believe me......most of us have tried that....it no workie. Recovery from addiction has to come from a place deep within the addict. Once they reach deeply and access that desire for sobriety and begin to make changes in themselves, it's perfectly reasonable to be supportive of that endeavor.

Are all addicts painted with the same brush? Absolutely not. There are definite stages of addiction. It would be very unreasonable to paint an early stage addict with the brush of a late stage addict.

The most important thing that we try to emphasize in this particular forum is our OWN behavior and how it may be detrimental to our own welfare. We (speaking of myself as a codependent here) are often as guilty of bad behaviors as the addict.

Speaking for myself, I know that I have been as toxic to the addicts in my life as they have been to me. Nothing changes if nothing changes......so we change that which we can control......ourselves.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-25-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You know each A is different as is each codependent.

I am an alcoholic with many years in recovery now. My parents didn't give up on me,
however, they did Let Me Go. They told me in no uncertain terms that it was my
problem and they did not want to hear from me or see me again until I had fixed MY
PROBLEM.

It took me another 2 1/2 years and the last year and a half living on the streets of
Hollywood to find recovery.

It then took about 3 more years, before they actually started to trust me again.

The only person who can 'help' and A is the A, and then only when they are ready
and WANT recovery.

Also being codependent, I had to learn to STEP AWAY and work on me. STEP AWAY and watch the A's actions over a long period of time, to see if A's actions were
matching the words.

To stay or to go, is up to the individual, however, when there is no respect, there is
verbal and/or physical abuse and all one's waking hours are focused on the A instead
of one's self, why on earth would a person stay and continue to subject themselves
to those lousy behaviors.

Each of us say it differently, however, we have been through the mill, and know that
it takes at least a year and many times longer for the A in our lives to not only find
recovery but work on themselves to find out who they are. In the process, if we are
also working on ourselves, then .............................. a lot of the time the relation-
ship does not last, as the individuals have become different than what they were.

I learned a long time ago, to allow, the A's in my life the dignity of succeeding or
failing on their own.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by octoberrain View Post
There is a letter a AS wrote to his mom that helped me to see that it WILL NOT work. I am using the letter now to help me when ever I want to hunt him down or beg him to come home. It is called "Let Me Fall All By Myself. You can find it on this site. I have printed it out so I have it available all the time.
Good luck to you
Hi Octoberrain - would you have any idea where I could find this thread to print out the letter you mention above?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

KE, you speak wise words, as always.

"The most important thing that we try to emphasize in this particular forum is our OWN behavior and how it may be detrimental to our own welfare. We (speaking of myself as a codependent here) are often as guilty of bad behaviors as the addict."

For me, what it eventually boiled down to was this: Trying to love my AS to recovery, was destroying myself, my relationship with my younger son and my ability to function well. If all the negatives meant my son would find recovery, I would have continued.

The biggest breakthrough for me was when it finally dawned on me that all the destruction in our lives was for nothing, I knew I had to start getting better for my younger son and myself. I knew I was not helping my AS at all. Yes, he had a place to stay, but he was getting worse and not better.

After my AS left, I had no contact for about a year. When he contacted me again, we started to carefully built our relationship again. Even then I realised that seeing him when he was high was not good for me nor him. Now I see him and if he is sober, we have a wonderful time together. When he is high, I cut the contact short.

If I saw that seeing him was becoming detrimental for us again, I will stop it with no guilt.

It boils down to this: he makes choices as to how he wants to live his life and I respect that. I will not suffer with him for his decisions anymore. When his decisions affect me and my other son negatively, we step back.

Everyone is equally important, an addict is not more important than the rest. My youngest son had to live for 13 years with addiction in our house. It took me that long to realise his well-being was every bit as important as my AS's.

Is there hope? I would like to think there always is. If my son ever show real signs of wanting to recover, I will support him 100%. Until then, our relationship is on my terms.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Redapples: Perhaps the phrase "with love and support" is what is throwing you.

The definition of how that is expressed in a relationship with someone with a "normal" brain (non-addict) is different than how that is expressed in a relationship with someone with an addicted brain. Many of us close to an active addict have had to learn how to "love and support" the active addict while not enabling. Those web sites do not really define what they mean by "with love and support." Neither do pastors and priests when they give their general sermons and homilies.

Keep coming back!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Addiction web sites are usually marketing tools for rehab/treatment.

It's usually the loved ones who are checking out these sites, not the addict/alcoholic. Rehab /treatment is business, BIG business. Love and support = new/repeat business.

Those who let go/disengage from the chaos do so to save themselves.
Recovery from anything, including codependency, is an inside job.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Redapples- I have been with my husband for over 30 years and we have built up equity in our relationship. In tough times, we draw on that equity to get through. Sometimes one person has to prop the other person up. However, there are limits. If one of us were to use up all the goodwill stored through the years, then it might be time to separate until/unless that person begins to contribute to the relationship again. There is no shame in stepping back if it is a matter of personal survival.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth

I'm not sure "painting everyone with the same brush" is the appropriate term. A slightly more sophisticated way to look at the problem of addiction is to recognize that addicts who are actively using or are not in recovery are very sick people. They're self-seeking, incapable of appreciating the needs or concerns of others. It's all about them; their eyes only look inward. And the only thing those that are touched by a loved one's addiction can do is get out of the addict's way and protect themselves.

Love and support is largely irrelevant when it comes to the addict. If all the addict needed was love and support, then there would be more addicts in recovery. Sadly, that's not the case. And even if the addict embraces recovery, it's a process that takes not days, not weeks, but years.

The first three steps of Al Anon and Nar Anon concern admitting we're powerless over someone else's addiction and turning to a Higher Power to regain our sanity. We can hope the best for the addict, we can pray for the addict, but in order for us to be well, we detach with love and allow God to watch over the addict. He can handle it. We can't.

Best,
ZoSo
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

that letter is in this thread below.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-me-fall.html
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yes Elphie that is the one. Thank you
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I understand your feelings and how you came to your conclusions. Others have pointed out that the "positive" websites are promoting recovery programs. Even the best recovery programs in the country have low recovery rates (23% still sober 1 year post treatment). They are "selling" a service. They certainly aren't going to say - "hey, we'll give it a stab but 75% of our patients are not going to maintain their sobriety".

Here at SR, no one is trying to sell you anything. We are a group of people whose lives have been touched by addiction. We've also recognized the unhealthy behaviors and actions that we have developed in response to living/loving people with addiction problems.
It isn't pretty. There are success stories all over the place but they usually don't come in the form that people new to our forum hope to see.

I came here in 2005 convinced that my love story with my then ABF was going to be different. He did get sober (from a 20 year history of crack cocaine abuse/addiction). We married but I left him in May of 2011. He was sober but stopped working a program - he was a dry drunk and was very abusive to me. So....the success for him was that he stopped using crack. That's very good. He's drinking again from what I understand - and in my opinion, that means he has relapsed. So....the hope thing is not going so well for him. However, I've grown and really have been looking at the characteristics in me that would chose relationships again and again with an addict. I work a program and have many moments of peace and serenity in my life. THAT is a huge success and is very full of hope.

So....did my story turn out the way I hoped that it would? No...but the tools of recovery allowed me to survive my attempts to prove that we were different and there was hope for us. What I've learned is that addiction is nasty and progressive disease. There is NOTHING that I can do to change whether someone is going to use of not. I can place boundaries that take care of me though. It's important that I always check my motives....I'm prone to try and sneak in some attempts to control drug/alcohol use.

I recognize how addiction is - and how it progresses unless an individual wants to get into recovery. My 18 year old son has developed a huge pot smoking habit. He is no longer allowed to live with me because I want to live in a drug free home. Have I given up on him? Absolutely NOT! Do I worry/fret/obsess? At times...but not nearly as often or as long as I would if I didn't work my own program. I know that I can't make him stop but I also don't want to do anything that makes it easy to keep on using. I'm realistic though. I have seen his behaviors escalate and he has been diagnosed as susbstance dependent. I'll never give up hope that things will change for him. I hope that he has a high bottom. Each person is different and I can't predict where his is. I am hopeful - but realistic.

I think that it boils down to that there is always hope. However, the people with experience in dealing with addicted love ones will invariably recommend stepping back from the relationship. In my experience, it's very difficult for me to keep my sanity when I have frequent interactions with people that manage life by using drugs. My child is my child and I know I feel differently about him than I would a romantic partner. At this point - if I became involved with someone and then discovered that they had a problem with addiction I would run for the hills (unless they were in long term recovery and working a program). It's not worth the risk.

Just saying.....

Last edited by lightseeker; 07-25-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I understand your feelings as I came to this forum a few weeks ago to read, and research something regarding addiction and fertility, but decided to reply to a post that was asking are there any success stories.

After I made my post about how I had met my boyfriend, who had only been clean from drugs a short time, and went on to tell how we were now married
and he had been clean for years.

I got back responses asking then why was I here on this forum???

Followed by questions that seemed like they were doubting it was possible, and he must still be using and me in denial. oh my....

My husband and I have been together 6 years, and it was only once during that first year that he had a short relapse. We are happily married and planning on starting a family soon.

Today I came back on here as i had decided to actually make a post with my initial question, and then I start reading..... I dont think this forum is really a place to come where you can ask questions and talk about what real life is like with addiction issues. Not when things are going well,,,

I get the impression that this forum is more geared to people who are in quite a bit of pain, and struggling with their own recovery.

I personally could not be on this forum very often, because all the negativity is depressing, and it is not what I have experienced in my relationship with my husband.

I just wanted to let you know people do overcome addiction. They do go on to lead healthy, happy lives. (but it wont be talked about here very often as those people are chased away).
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

@KnBlueSkies - I just wanted to let you know people do overcome addiction. They do go on to lead healthy, happy lives. (but it wont be talked about here very often as those people are chased away).
I do not think that is true. I for one welcome your story. It gives me hope to know there is hope and that they CAN over come addiction. Thank you for your post!