Notices

Being sober is fun ...

Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Being sober is fun ...

So Today i put on some jimi hendrix at full volume whilst me and my colleauges were on break enjoying a bit of sun , (easy rider) .

I managed to get the two guys i was with to rock out a bit with air guitars , three of us sat in a truck all going for it ... well it would have been a sight to behold ! It was great fun .. I'd have probaly had a hangover this time last year so it would'nt have happend .

So that made me think , i'll ask the people on SR what are they going to do this week thats fun that they would'nt have done in the dark old days ?

bestwishes M
Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yes it is fun to be sober , "We are not a glum lot"

This week like some many now in the past I will wake up not come to to feel wonderful, I actually will go to the courthouse this week to make my second to last payment for the 3 dui. Yea, whoooooooo hooooo I have walked there to make a payment for 16 months, I will enjoy the gym, pool, and AA activity and meetings all week.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm making things for an upcoming craft fair. Then I'm going to sit in the sun all day Saturday selling them. I could not do that if I wasn't committed to staying sober.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I don't really have anything planned, but I have noticed that my silly playful nature is coming out more and more. There is a lot more laughter in my house lately
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm just enjoying training outdoors this summer, trying to get my body to where I want it. When I took "getting wasted all the time" out of my goals list it left a lot of room for long-term objectives of substance.

Is training "fun"? Well, it's enjoyable. The 4x9 deadlifts I did this morning, not fun, but running's a pretty good time. Peaceful, relaxing, see nice people exercising, what's not to like? Oh, yeah, that whole 'pain' thing.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

have noticed that my silly playful nature is coming out more and more. There is a lot more laughter in my house lately
Yeh thats true for me as well . It's great .
Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find myself being even more sensible,mature not drinking.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get silly too in my sober days and I'm a 27 year old man.....

Anyway.. we can have fun sober and not feel guilty about it....
being sober lifts a huge burden of worry/stress of alcoholism from us.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can enjoy my daughters company and listen to her properly rather than be wrapped up in my own selfish solitary world. I love my new life, and so does she.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Your post gave me a huge smile. I wish I hadn't spent so much time thinking of what I'd be missing out on by not drinking. I had it all wrong. Just being coherent is such a blessing - so many years spent numb and unaware.

I'm going on a little cruise up the river near where I live. Wouldn't have done it in the past - no alcohol on board. So sad I once thought that way.

Happy for you mecanix.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm catching up with some old mates today - mates I'd lost contact when when I drank

D
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me work actually becomes fun. When I was drinking all I could do is figure out ways to get home as early as possible so that I could get hammered... I was constantly miserable there so I started bringing booze with me! Needless to say that didn't really make work any better... just made it drag on and made me incredibly moody. Now after being sober for a few months I actually find ways to enjoy being there... especially with my co-workers much like you described!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I got a new job and have been loving my first couple of days! My coworkers like me. My bosses like me and i'm confident! Tomorrow i'm boarding a plane (sans hang over) and visiting relatives in Sweet Home Alabama. Just so many things i'm doing and doing them SOBER makes them all the more excellent. No other word. Well, maybe awesome.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree, drinking just makes you depressed anyway!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

also, i started playing my flute again. i played for about 15 years and had been a music performance major before i left college (actually not due to my drinking). i had forgotten how much i missed playing. now, i get the joy of playing again. it's like i'm reconnecting to a part of my soul that's been lying dormant for years. it's so wonderful.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Gemeinhardt 3shb. Toot!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't know if it's anybody else's idea of fun, but I've got a few books from the library today. I used to go through at least 100pages a day, hope to get back to that.

I don't feel sillier, but I do feel more relaxed, maybe a little too relaxed in fact...
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Gemeinhardt 3shb. Toot!
lol! i've got a Pearl. i forget the model. it's an inbetweener model with a silver head joint, inline E and a B foot. i got it serviced a couple of months ago and have been futzing around with it. so much fun. toot toot back atcha!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Someguy23 View Post
Don't know if it's anybody else's idea of fun, but I've got a few books from the library today. I used to go through at least 100pages a day, hope to get back to that.

I don't feel sillier, but I do feel more relaxed, maybe a little too relaxed in fact...
my husband got me a Nook for Christmas (although i got it in February, lol!). it's been my constant companion. i read while i was drinking but i never remembered anything and there wasn't the joy that i get now. this is totally different. reading is definitely fun. also a great thing to do if a craving hits. a little escape into another world and then i feel a lot better. when i was earlier in my recovery i did get triggered a little by drinking in books (there's tons of it in George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. like crazy tons) but i'm pretty over it now.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
I don't really have anything planned, but I have noticed that my silly playful nature is coming out more and more. There is a lot more laughter in my house lately
I can relate to this too.Simple things butfun