Notices

Give advice of what you use....

Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Give advice of what you use....

Afternoon all,

I am writing this to ask for anyone that wants to give advice on what program they use please do so. But Please dont about programs you dont use. I personally am an AAer as most know, but I never give advice on AVART,SMART,ect. because I dont use them. So please only state your personal things that you encountered.

The newcomer that arrives here can be confused enough without mis-information. This thread is in no means to create any thoughts of one program over another!!!!!!!

And lets all stay sober today together.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can I add that simply stating which program you use is more like advertising than sharing experiences. If people could talk about their experiences rather than the labels they give those experiences, it would be more helpful and less polarizing. Just a thought.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good idea for a thread as i know it is hard to know where to start. Personally I have been attending AA meetings regularly and i'm going today for an assessment at an outpatient program. I know I can't do this on my own and i need help. If I could find an inpatient place that I could work from my laptop a few hrs a day, I would take that if I could.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I caution members to not turn this thread into a debate about recovery programs.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

@Missy yes sharing is the key. I can only speak for myself and in each and every thread that I have started over the last 1 1/2 years is that of experience in my road to sobriety.

I also just simply wanted to add, that we do say in the rooms is = The most important person in the room is the newcomer. So lets all welcome them properly and in a way that enhances the group.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Right now, I am using a little bit of everything
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

A.A. and S.R.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Fyi, I kinda meant for this to be when you share on other threads, sorry for the confusion.

Well as this day is starting to come to a close, I had a good serene time. Walk to the gym good workout, laid out at the pool, stopped here at the library.

Now off to a meeting I have not hit in a bit, looking forward to seeing whos there. Its a topic discussion meeting so then home, and make a nice little dinner.

For today is so much easier to live in my skin then it was months ago.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

AA, my sponsor, therapist and meditation and prayer.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I agree that it's always best to share from our own experience. (was that the point of this post?)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello, Welcome

I'm trying to figure out why I can't get into chat room, does anyone know why or are having the same error issues with chat?

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Afternoon all,

I am writing this to ask for anyone that wants to give advice on what program they use please do so. But Please dont about programs you dont use. I personally am an AAer as most know, but I never give advice on AVART,SMART,ect. because I dont use them. So please only state your personal things that you encountered.

The newcomer that arrives here can be confused enough without mis-information. This thread is in no means to create any thoughts of one program over another!!!!!!!

And lets all stay sober today together.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Advice

I agree!

QUOTE=IndaMiricale;3501266]Afternoon all,

And lets all stay sober today together. [/QUOTE]
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Chat problem

I'm trying to figure out why I can't get into chat room, does anyone know why or are having the same error issues with chat?

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I agree that it's always best to share from our own experience. (was that the point of this post?)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

chat problem

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Fyi, I kinda meant for this to be when you share on other threads, sorry for the confusion.

Well as this day is starting to come to a close, I had a good serene time. Walk to the gym good workout, laid out at the pool, stopped here at the library.

Now off to a meeting I have not hit in a bit, looking forward to seeing whos there. Its a topic discussion meeting so then home, and make a nice little dinner.

For today is so much easier to live in my skin then it was months ago.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Try updating your Java, that tends to be a big problem for some.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In absolutely no hierarchal or any other kind of order...I am using every tool available to me. And I am currently using all of the following.

A therapist very experienced in addiction, once a week
Alcoholics Anonymous several times a week
AVRT
Urge Surfing
Prayer and meditation
This website
Keeping a journal
Exercise and contemplation
Transcandental meditation

Honestly, any one of the above, if attended to diligently, would probably be enough. But after billionty-seben "failed" attempts and in my mid-50s I decided to pull out all the stops and try everything available to me. It's that or I die, and and soon.

I'm a hard-core atheist and non-woo person, but praying (not to a big Daddy in the sky but to collective strength and power) and meditating/being conscious of urges and cravings are probably the most helpful. At this point anyway - about six weeks sober.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i use AA but mostly for the meetings. i'm actually finding SR to be incredibly therapeutic. i try to read and post here every day because there is always a thread with a question that i haven't seen before that i can apply to my life and try to answer. i search myself for the answer, think about it deeply then answer. i find that when i answer the question in a thread, i am more answering that question as if i had asked it and am answering myself. i am finding that almost every day i am discovering new things about myself and my views on my own sobriety. also, reading other people's views on the questions and their replies gives me refreshing new takes on it to apply to my own life. i love reading about people who are just starting out on their first couple of weeks because it reminds me of where i was back then and how full of hope and fear i was. i read about relapse and find all the common threads and learn lessons from those. SR is a font of knowledge, shared experiences, inspiration, support and fellowship. i honestly give this forum a lot of credit for my continued sobriety and how deeply ingrained it is becoming in my life. this site gives me a place to practice and brush up on my sobriety daily. i can't believe it's free! i wish i'd stuck to it when i first came across it. i probably would have a lot more sober months under my belt if i had realized what a gold mine i had stumbled across when i clicked on these forums after google searching "night sweats alcohol."
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree--I stumbled on to SR as well one awful Day One while googling alcohol problems. It has been the only chance I've ever had of making it.