Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

confused and realizing Im married to a high functioning alcoholic

confused and realizing Im married to a high functioning alcoholic

Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Husband is a HFA

Thumbs up confused and realizing Im married to a high functioning alcoholic

Hi all,

This is my first post. The reality of my situation is hitting me square in the face. I didn't grow up around alcohol, cigarettes or drugs, so I didn't notice at first what was 'really' going on with my husband or myself. This website has helped me so much to understand that I have been a codependant enabler and I'm learning stop those behaviors.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Glad you are here.

You are among friends here, we all understand what you have been living.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum, some of the best information about addiction right at your fingertips.

Please know, you are not alone.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are in a supportive place. I, too, had no knowledge of addictions when I married my high functioning AH when I was 18 yrs old 29 years ago. At the time of our marriage, he was 19 yrs old and I don't think he was an alcoholic yet, but if I knew something about it I could have seen some red flags in his family history. It is hard because my own family doesn't understand the disease process and, because he hides it so well, can't see how sick he is. This website has been so much help to me, also- not just in understanding alcoholism but in interacting with people who "get it". Keep on working on behaviors that protect you and help you to heal so that you can be as healthy as possible. It is an ongoing process.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Please make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed. We are here to support you!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi OME

Welcome to SR. This forum has been a God-send for me, and I'm so glad you're finding it the same. The times when we start to realise what really has been going on in our lives are so difficult. Pennies keep dropping, and all of a sudden things that have been happening start to make sense, or at least are explained a bit more. I'm living with my AH still, and realised several years ago that he is an A, and yet ever after all that time, since I joined and started reading here, more and more things started fitting into place.

We all have so much to learn, and long journeys to take, but some of the amazing people on here will most definitely help us on our way.

Adventure
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Hi OpeningMyEyes. Welcome to SR. I am glad you have realized your are codependent. Have you read Melody Beattie's book, Codependent No More?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello!
I was in the same boat. Didn't grow up around alcoholics and had no idea what the disease even looked like. Had heard there were plenty of them out there, but figured my exah wasn't one because he didn't live under a viaduct and had a great job.
Ah my naivete!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Husband is a HFA

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome

Learning2Live, I will look for that.