Notices

failed before i even started

Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

failed before i even started

ok so morning one....failed! whats wrong with me!! why have i no self control? no determination? I hate myself well and truly. anyone know where i can fond some help on getting my willpower again. its not just the drink its everything, fags, food, anger i just cant control myself and i dont know how anymore. any useful info would be much appreciated. thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not a matter of willpower, Ash. If it was, I wouldn't have managed to stay off the booze for 47 days.
And, for the record, my first attempt at quitting lasted just 6 hours.
You're in the right place for help and support. We're here for you. What did you learn from this failure? How did it happen?
In any case, what you need to do now is pick yourself up and start again. Be gentle with yourself. You won't get anywhere by beating yourself up about this. And self loathing won't keep you off the booze either.
Hang in there, be strong, be sober. And when you feel like giving in, phone somebody, or post here. You deserve to be sober. And you deserve to be happy.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are not a failure. Just try again.
It has nothing to do with will power,
but allowing out drug of choice to
control us and make us slaves to
the addiction.

Welcome! You are in the right place
here with people who understand
and support you.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've failed after a few hours, too. Many times.
Days, hours, weeks I always went back to the bottle.
Heck, I joined here five years ago and have two and a half years sober. Took me awhile to get it.

Don't be hard on yourself. There are programs of recovery that can help and the people you meet will completely understand. I do, too.

Just pick yourself up and try again, that's all we can do. It isn't easy for some of us, but there's people here with long term sobriety. So keep trying and posting.

Best to you.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it's about will-power.

It's about accepting that you're an alcoholic and accepting that drinking is not an option, ever. It's about making changes in your life. Once you do that, your mind will start working in healthier ways to get you through each day.

I'm glad you're here today.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ash, its not a matter of self control and determination alone...if it was, most of us would have quit drinking long ago. We're addicts and need tools and support in order to gain control. White-knucking it rarely works. I've relapsed countless times over the years. You can do this Ash!

Lots of tools and support available to you. AA. Urge surfing. SMART Recovery. Counseling. This site. Prayer and meditation(don't discount those as tools even if you're an atheist.) AVRT.

All are discussed often on these forums, search for discussions. ((Ash)). You can do this.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ash007 View Post
ok so morning one....failed! whats wrong with me!! why have i no self control? no determination? I hate myself well and truly. anyone know where i can fond some help on getting my willpower again. its not just the drink its everything, fags, food, anger i just cant control myself and i dont know how anymore. any useful info would be much appreciated. thanks
Of course I would first say please make a doctor appointment ASAP and be very honest about your desire to stop drinking along with a truthfull description of your current alchohol intake levels. You may need a medically managed detox, this is very important if your body is physically addicted to alchohol.

Until I had the tools to help me deal with my problems it was a uphill battle.
What helped me for the last almost four years of being free from Alchohol and Drugs including cigarettes has been 12 step support groups and therapy.
I met some special people who had many years of sobriety. They helped me learn how to live a sober life.

My recommendation is
#1 make a doctor appointment today
#2 go to a free local AA support group (right now! even if you are "drunk"
#3. Report back to the website
These recomendations saved and changed my life for the better. I am sure it can work for you too!

You can totally do this!
All the best.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Of course I would first say please make a doctor appointment ASAP and be very honest To your doctor about your desire to stop drinking along with a truthfull description of your current alcohol and drug intake levels. You may need a medically managed detox, this is very important if your body is physically addicted to alchohol.

Until I had the tools to help me deal with my problems it was a uphill battle.
What helped me for the last almost four years of being free from Alchohol and Drugs including cigarettes has been 12 step support groups and therapy.
I met some special people who had many years of sobriety. They helped me learn how to live a sober life.

My recommendation is
#1 make a doctor appointment today
#2 go to a free local AA support group (right now! even if you are "drunk"(Alcoholics Anonymous : International General Service Offices)
#3. Report back to the website

These recomendations saved and changed my life for the better. I am sure it can work for you too!

You can totally do this!
All the best.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify.

All the best.

Bob R