Notices

Day 7

Old 07-21-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Day 7

I'm new here and have enjoyed and learned from reading! Finally, ready to admit outloud that I've struggled with alcohol on/off for 15+ years - not an everday drinker until the last 6 mos and then the last 2 mos. it consumed my every thought and means of escape! Mentally, I obviously have my moments and am in counseling and searching for the right path for me (meeting wise). Physically, had two rough days and was looking forward to feeling better-- more energy, stamina etc. To my dismay I still have lingering headaches and pure exhaustion!

I'm drinking lots of water/juices and my counselor said to add magnesium and potassium to my daily regime. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi zoebear, welcome to SR Congrats on your 7 days - that's wonderful, good for you. The lingering headaches and exhaustion will go away eventually... keep going and you'll find you will feel much better in no time. It takes a while for our bodies to get back to normality, try not to let it get you down, it's a good sign - it means you are recovering. All the best on your sober journey x
Old 07-21-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Zoebear

Take it easy on yourself...you need time to recover. Personally I loved the exhaustion because it meant I finally got some proper rest. They say you don't sleep properly after drinking so I figure I didn't have proper sleep for years and I have lots of catching up to do! Give yourself permission to relax and recover x

Oh and well done on 7 days!! That's the hardest bit x
Old 07-21-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Glad you are here.

Congrads on your 7 days.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi zoebear

It took me more than a week to feel good - at a week I was usually just starting not to feel bad

stick with it though - it will get better

welcome!

D
Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome zoebear! Be proud of the decision you've made - you'll never regret it. Each day will be a bit better than the last. One day you'll wake up feeling wonderful. We're glad you're here!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have this book called "How to Quit Drinking Without AA" - they recommend glutamine, milk thistle and a whole vitamin regime, I have been finding B vitamins are helpful plus drinking a lot of water and herbal tea. Try to get any small amount of exercise you can & feel better soon.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone! And thanks for the book title Ziggy - not that you knew but that's the route I'm trying! Best to all and I'm going about it with a great attitude :-)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I heard it might take 2 years for some people to get their body back to normal. I am still craving sugar and I am in my 7th month. I used a lot of natural things, melatonin, Valerian, chamomile tea, B vitamins, etc.... I use to own a Metaphysical vitamin store, so I have a lot of them!! Keep up the great work with your sobriety, it only gets better. I am seeing that light at the end of the tunnel now, and I don't want to become lost again.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome zoebear -

Glad you're here! I was really tired/unmotivated, too - I think it's pretty common. I really does get better, so stay with it. I just tried to go with the flow and make my life as simple as possible for the first couple weeks.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoebear View Post
Thank you so much everyone! And thanks for the book title Ziggy - not that you knew but that's the route I'm trying! Best to all and I'm going about it with a great attitude :-)
I highly recommend the book, it has been VERY helpful!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

what's your doctor say?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on your 7 days

Things will get better with the headaches/exhaustion, it takes time though. xx
Old 07-22-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, Zoebear, and welcome to SR! You have done a great thing, and I am not sure if you realize how this decision will change the world you live in.

That feeling of shame, of powerlessness, of guilt has already started to lift for you because you have made the choice to accept what is, to look ahead to what your life can become, to become the person that you know you really are.

I got sober the same way you are doing it - me - so I respect your courage and determination. Please know that you have a lot of support here at SR, and that you can send me a pm if I can offer anything to you.

I have a feeling that great things are ahead for you, Zoebear. Just remember that others have gone before you, and that you will succeed at this because you can. Best to you.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats on 7 days
that is a hugely difficult thing to achieve- keep it up!
hil
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for words of congrats, praise and inspiration! Day 8!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Zoebear,
I am on Day 7 today and sooooo tired all week. As mentioned it's our bodies healing I am taking advantage of it and napping when I can. I am thankful for being off work this coming week, taking the time to rest and retrain my brain.

Let's beat this beast.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome. Keep up the hard work. I am finishing day 11. I can't think of anything I have ever done that is harder than not drinking! I am still sleeping a lot, and my brain feels fuzzy. But..this is way better than being hung-over and dehydrated.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7 today, still feeling exhausted and having a practically constant headache, but it's worth it! Keep up the good work Zoe!