Notices

Going to an AA meeting tonight

Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to an AA meeting tonight

I attended AA last summer and met many nice people. That is when I was trying " moderated" drinking. This summer I decided it is easier to not drink at all and haven't for the last month.

An acquaintance of mine spent 11 days IP this spring and recently graduated from her OP program. She attends daily AA meetings and her boyfriend attends Al Non.

She does not believe it is possible to remain sober with out AA. She said she believes I'm making excuses to not attend and that I will probably resume drinking wine again.

I agreed to go to a meeting with her tonight for two reasons. One, it seems very important to her and I think she needs support. Secondly, I don't want to be over confident about sobriety ....so figure it can't hurt....and might possibly help

i truly believe it is possible for me to remain sober without AA, but don't want to be closed minded. I have much to learn.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well thats good that you are going to support your friend, and as for you why not right. We never can have enough tools in the box.

I am going to a meeting tonight too, although I go almost everyday.

Have fun, for me its so nice to just be surrounded by sobriety and the friends I have made over the year and half is just beyond what I could of imagined.

And hello Cinci, I am just north in Cleveland.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I agree with you. It is quite possible to stay sober without AA. Many people have done it. Some people can become fairly happy and function well without AA also. If they need a bit more help, the door is always open.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I attended the AA meeting and had a wonderful time! I got my one month coin and shared for the first time. This group is fairly social and I joined them for pizza afterwards. such a fun evening - so glad I went!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome , glad it was good.

I just got home from my friday evening meeting, which i heard a great lead.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad you went PL

I think it is vital to have support especially in early recovery. Hence my very common and much posted point that you MUST have an open mind and TRY anything to help you.

My desperation was such that I was OPEN to anything...and I tried it all and took what I needed.

If we shut down support options without at least trying them, we might in fact be closing that one door that could be the key to exactly what we NEED!!

So s pleased that you had a great meeting
Old 07-21-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

one thing ya wrote that i liked to read:
"I don't want to be over confident about sobriety ...."

that has destroyed more alcoholics than i can count and has sent me on a dry drunk more than once. alcohol loves for us to get over confident. thats when the thought of," i got this under control" comes in and thats when alcoholism strikes. that hasnt just been my experience in the past 7 years of seeing it happen to others in person. its also been my experience here on SR.

keep up the vigilance and hope ya go back!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you tomsteve. I read so many people's experiences and it seems like some are "blindsided" by a relapse. I never want to drink again...so am willing to learn from others who have a record of sobriety.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Indeed you must guard your sobriety like your life depends on it, because for me it truly does.

So with that I work what works for ME. Today I awoke and prayed and meditated. I still dont know how to pray but that does not matter, for my higher power understands me and my needs.

Then just a beautiful day out in the garden and yard, chatted with friends and neighboor's, and soon off to a nice early sat. meeting.

Have a lovely Sat. Pondlady.