Notices

New and confused!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and confused!

Hello! I'm Vanessa, a nearly 28 year old single parent to a nearly 2 year old daughter. I have always had a funky relationship with alcohol, but since having my daughter, and especially in the last 4 to 6 months, I have become totally out of control, and have completely lost myself. I struggle with depression, and a lot of that came along with post partum depression that I never took care of. I just decided that I needed to at least take a bak from alcohol, to figure out my depression problems, but I am wondering if I need to make this a permanent solution. I'm terrified, I have gone 3 days without a sip, and I think about the alcohol every night once my daughter is in bed. I know I am still really early into this, I just wish I would have set a plan.... Im basically going into this blindly, and at this point am unsure of what the heck I am even doing!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Well it sounds like you are doing the right thing Vanessa. The first week is difficult as your body gets used to not having the alcohol. Then there can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster for a time. I would suggest you get some sort help with the alcohol from some sort of method/program (like AA or AVRT). Getting some help for that depression will be very important. You may be attempting to medicate it with alcohol. There are far better ways to treat it, but you should see a professional for evaluation IMO.
My best to you and your little girl.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Vanessa, welcome to SR.

Take a look on the main page of this forum at the different recovery methods - there are many and all have worked for lots and lots of people.

Being at SR is also a wonderful support so I hope you stick around. All the best in your recovery x
Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hello and Welcome
Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Nessa:

I suggest you Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". Can you relate to what's being said in those documents?

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Bob R