Notices

Not So New "Newbie"

Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not So New "Newbie"

Hi,

I'm not so incredibly new to the concept of recovery, but very new to this rigorous honesty and asking for help thing. I've been in an outpatient program for 3 months, it started to "take" two months ago and i have 50 days. It feels so much better to be sober!

I'm "graduating" the program very soon, and want to continue the progress. AA helps a lot, but i really need support when i'm all by myself. For some reason, it's tough for me to get a sponsor. my mentor actually recommended this site.

Just a little bit of history: i've reached 6 months before, only to relapse, then 6 months again, only to relapse again. that last one was a doozy! anyone have suggestions on how to get involved with this site so i can keep from getting back on the crazy train? Thank you!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Learn why you start drinking at the 6th month. A lot of the time, it's a routine you get into and you repeat it over and over again without knowing it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI and welcome wehav2day

You'll find a ton of support here - my advice would be to use the forums as much as you like - I'd also check out the monthly Class Threads for support (if you got sober in March (?) you could look at the March thread for people around the same recovery point as you)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-4-a-6.html

also check out the chat room - the entry portal is at the top far right hand side of the blue toolbar that runs across the top of every page

This is a great recovery community - you've made a great decision in joining us

D
Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you found us.....Welcome to our recovery community..

You are useing SR just fine....and we have many members who are
supportive and who have been where you are ..we understand..

Some of us use various ideas and methods for their sobreity
others like me...find AA is our solution
There is no wrong way to stay sober and enjoy life without alcohol..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome wehav2day!

50 days is a great start! I'm glad you found this forum - it's my daily maintenance source. I think if you just jump in and look around, you'll feel at home in no time!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome wehav! i'm in the March 2012 group. i post on her pretty much daily (and nightly). the blog feature is neat too. i just started using it. boy howdy did it come in useful when i thought i had "just a little something" to say about a particular topic. i found myself exploring something that had laid dormant in me for a long time. as far as getting involved here goes just read and post as you like. don't be shy. we get a lot of people who come here on their first day and simply don't know what to expect out of recovery. many of us post here when we simply need to hear other's take on a situation or to see if anyone else has experienced something we're going through. just read a few threads and you'll get the idea real quick. i'm so glad your mentor recommended the site! i tell everyone i meet in recovery about SR. i've found it to be such a valuable resource in my recovery. hope you find it to be of value to you as well.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hey and Welcome fellow Ohioan. Using this site is great for recovery being 24 hrs.

But if you like AA and want it, I love it , you need that sponsor to take you threw the steps. And if your around the Cleveland area its nice because there are some late meetings like midnight.

In any event glad to have ya with us.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your mentor was right to send you here. It's a wonderful place. I've been here not very long at all and I feel at home... there is so much understanding and support here. Everyone is lovely. It's a great place to be when you're feeling low or alone in your recovery. You are never alone here. Being here is a great way to keep yourself sober, too. Before I came here I wasn't 100% certain of the fact that I could do this but being here has just made me so strong in my recovery... it really works.

Congrats on your sober time so far and for seeking ways that will keep you from relapsing. I wish you all the best on the rest of your recovery journey - keep us posted.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I would always have trouble between 90 and 120 days. I’m not sure if it was partly biological or what. The thing that really helped me (as odd as it may sound) was an attempt to focus on the welfare of others. That’s what seemed to get me past that difficult period at 3 to 4 months. If I were you, I would focus on exactly what has gone wrong at about the 6 month mark in the past and make sure you do things very differently as this time period approaches. Keep expressing your willingness to work with a sponsor and I believe it will happen. Best wishes.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good advice, thank you! see you around!