o/t: another change

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

o/t: another change

i've spent the last five years as an elementary teacher, in the lowest socioeconomic school in my district. my kids come to school with more baggage than most of us will probably ever understand. every day is a challenge to earn their trust, get them interested in learning (lucky me, i'm a science teacher!), make them believe in themselves, make them strive for success, and to convince them that they are worthy of time, attention, and love. i have taught children who have hidden in closets while their mother's boyfriend shot their mother and killed their baby brother, i have taught a child molestor, confiscated weed and knives, had many students spend time in the state hospital, and watched too many children to count be walked down the hallway in handcuffs by the police. it's a tough school, and even tougher to get a transfer out of. the other schools (and teachers) in our district look down their noses at us because our test scores suck, but not a single one of them is willing to walk in our shoes for a day. and if they did, they would hightail it out of their with their tails between their legs.

at the beginning of the summer, i got an unexpected call from a principal at one of the local junior highs, asking me if i would be interested in interviewing for a position as an eighth grade science teacher. you would think that i would jump at the chance to switch schools, after all i've wanted to move to the junior high level for years. but i didn't jump. instead, i called my teammate and sobbed with her, agonizing over whether i even wanted to go to the interview. in the end, and after much persuasion from her, i decided to go. the interview went well, and thirty minutes after i left they offered me the job and i accepted it. i spent several days in my old classroom packing all of my junk and crying at the thought of leaving my crazy little school. it was one of the hardest decisions i have ever made.

part of my hesitation in accepting the new position was the curriculum. in texas, eighth grade science is earth and space. now, i can teach all of that just fine, but it isn't really my passion. i love biology, and i've wanted to teach it for many years. well...my principal called me today and asked me if i was willing to move down to seventh grade and teach life science. i, honestly, don't even think she finished asking before i joyously responded, "yes, yes. oh, my gosh, i would love that!" NOW i'm excited to start back to school!!! EEK!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Thank you for sharing!

I'm happy that your life is becoming joy-filled!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We need more teachers like you Shawty.

Congratulations on your new position and being able to do what you love to do.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you so much, y'all! i'm genuinely giddy right now! i haven't felt that way since i was traipsing all over lava flows in hawaii.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Happy for you shawty.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you, l2l!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shawty, this story makes me sure that everything happens for a reason. Congrats!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you, luv. my hp must have known this would ease some of my stress. so grateful for this opportunity!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Somehow I think your HP preferred Life Science also. Enjoy every minute teaching as you sound like what we used to call "a born teacher", living your job, as distinct from an educator who stands and spouts info at kids.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for seeing that door open, taking a leap, and landing right where you want to be! Now that's courage.

Congrats, and thanks for the happy post tonight! ; )
~T
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you, jad! i think you may be right about my hp. teaching is one of the most frustrating jobs in the world, but can also be one of the most rewarding. i don't know that i was born to do it, but i take my job very seriously and give it my all. i'm so excited to start this new year.

tg, thank you! i was thrilled to get that call yesterday and so happy to have something to be happy about! i've felt so down in the slumps, and this gave me a little ray of hope. maybe hp decided that i REALLY needed a shake-up to start putting my focus back on me.