Notices

Feeling a lot of anxiety today

Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling a lot of anxiety today

It's day 3 today of attempt 500, give or take. I think the longest I've gone without drinking is 8 days in about as many years. No one in my life really knows how much I drink. But that fact in and of itself has helped me realize the depth of my problem. If I didn't feel deep down that what I was doing was wrong, why would I feel the need to hide it?

I'm very jittery today. My heart is beating a little too hard and a little too fast. I know it for what it is and know it will pass. I also know I will not drink today. So I guess all in all, I feel ok.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find it helps to not focus so much on how poorly you feel today, but how great you'll feel tomorrow when you wake up sober and clear headed for one more day. Kind of like trying to get a high score in a game.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you attending AA meetings?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome.... I am new in sobriety as well.... Not been able to string more than 8 or sp days together in a row.

When I feel those feeling I tell myself to let the wash over me. They are only temporary and will not last. Usually a good nights sleep will change my perspective every time.

The intensity and depth of any one persons drinking is only measure by that person them selves. Your being here is a testimony to your own self evaluation.

And all that is a good thing.

Try to focus on other things.... And let them wash over you!

Glad your here!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Xmbi, welcome and there is support here online I am wandering do you have support (not talking about your family), a friend (preferably a sober one but a healthy one) you can talk to? Would you be willing to go to a 12 step meeting-you don't have to annouce it or anything like that but having support increases your chance at staying sober, if not you have to find a bottom you choose where you say enough is enough, if you say your already there and you think you can do it on your own draw the line. If this doean't work get help, there are counselor, addiction counselors that can help- there is AVRT, SMART,and other programs to try just make that little effort. I hope you find your way, I bet your family has a little idea that there is something a matter? If not you feel you have a problem-
If I didn't feel deep down that what I was doing was wrong, why would I feel the need to hide it?
Keep posting and keep your head up your worth it!!! God Bless!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Xmbi

I feel for you - those first days are tough. But it really does get better. Hang in there, and hang around here.

You're in my prayers.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You might want to consider some help from your doctor for the detox. I also suggest using what has worked for others like Smart recovery, AVRT and/or AA. This will help you STAY sober. The life of seemingly never ending withdrawal is no way to live.

What helped me enormously was AA. The down side of AA is that it’s quite difficult to muster the courage to go to the first meeting, and the program is not altogether easy (simple…. but not easy). Call your local AA office. They can tell you where a local meeting is. You might find them a good resource just to speak with on the phone.

Best wishes
Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can tell you that it definitely gets better. I'm on day 11 now and I have gone through many different things over the last several days. The first few days my brain felt pretty cloudy all day long. Almost like I was half in dream and half in reality. I could feel my heart was beating pretty hard and fast. That does pass. It sucks while it lasts though. I think it was about day 5 or 6 when the way I felt went from downright crummy to not so bad. Now that I'm on day 11 I feel pretty great. I have gotten outside which believe it or not is a big help. It's kind of hard to motivate yourself to get outside when you don't feel well but it helps the spirit as well as the body. So that's my 2 cents.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I found going to bed early was a good remedy to get though the first two weeks. It was often laying in bed for hours with little sleep, but it gave me a serenity in that I had gotten past another day.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. I am not currently in any program since it is a struggle for me to open up about any truly important aspects of my life, but after attempting to quit drinking several times completely on my own and failing miserably every time, I've come to realize I do need the support of others. Hence why I have reached out here. Even writing that first post was a huge step for me. I'm hoping that with each day it not only gets easier not to drink, but it also gets easier for me to be open and honest about my many imperfections.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started posting on this site very early this morning when I couldn't sleep because of the alcohol waking me up. This is Day 1 for me out of God only knows how many attempts. I am amazed at the support and love I have received in just today! We are all here with a common purpose and I'm sure if you keep posting, you will keep receiving love and support as I have. I too am NOT going to drink today. Today is all I can be accountable for, and that is enough for me right now. Too hard to try and look into tomorrow and start worrying about it already.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Xmbi and Bratforlife! I too, am relatively new to this site. I felt much better after three days of not drinking. Hang in there , you're off to a good start...think how good you'll feel in the morning. None of us regret NOT drinking the night before - learned that here on this site.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am experiencing the same feelings today of rapid heartbeat, sweating, fighting the urge to cry. Today is Day 6 for me. I haven't gone a week st8 in over 3 years. Just wanted to say I'm with you. Coming on this site has helped some. Sleeping most of day helped some. Knowing I will be going to a meeting later helps. Doesn't make it any easier but I know this will pass someday and nothing is worse than the damage i've done. No need to add to that!!
Hugs ((( )))
Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Xmbi

It does get better x
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Don't give up. Keep fighting!
We all had to push through those first few miserable weeks/months but it gets easier.
I stayed on SR constantly & know that is what got me through.
Prayers for you. We are only human. Be good to yourself. You deserve freedom & peace.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

There is a lot of support here, so keep reading and posting. I always find inspiration here.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!