Notices

How is it that...

Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How is it that...

Some people can have a few drinks and walk away? I mean I get it, they're not alcoholics but seriously for me, does not compute.

I can do it but I ALWAYS want more, unless I overdid it the day before.

Stupid genetics I suppose.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Yeah somewhere we crossed that line and i don't want to go back. I drank to get buzzed/drunk there was no middle ground. I am glad I am not chasing anymore!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Best not to question. We already know it's not going to change. Life isn't fair. We are the unlucky ones who just can't. Things are so much better anyway. I've been doing a lot of thinking on why i'd even drink "just a few" because I drank to get drunk... but then, i'm an alcoholic.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes Britt, best not to think about it. In fact I doubt I will ever tempt fate by having NA beers. Like decaf it just wouldn't work for me. I'd only want the real thing.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just to look at it from a different viewpoint...I used to feel sorry for the 'lightweights' who couldn't drink like me, y'know, the type who can only handle just a couple of drinks...Everyone else I'm not sure how good they really are at just having a few and walking away. There seems to be so many tips out there on how to control your drinking that I'm convinced most people struggle with it.

Saying that though, I don't envy people who seem to drink just a few anymore, I'm just glad to be free and that I don't have to drink
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's more than genetics. I think that outside influences affect the situation too. I was genetically predisposed, but I didn't drink at all until my mid-forties, at which time I became an instant alcoholic. But, it was the stuff going on in my life that brought me to start drinking in order to sleep.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes Anna I will agree that it's more than just genetics. I've been dealt a rough hand in a lot of ways and my drinking has really gotten out of control in recent years.

Hypo, indeed, the freedom makes it all worth it. (and the cheaper tabs. )
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also, the irony is not lost on me that we drank more to sleep better and inevitably completely messed up our sleep cycles.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dont even see the point. Like why take in the calories if you're not going to put them to use. :idk: it blows my mind when somwone leaves half a drink on the table at a bar or resturant too.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree Snapper! I'd like to ditch the spanx and get back to my size 4 please, and I won't be replacing the calories with something else. I'm hoping getting back into healthy eating and riding my bike will make this all so much easier.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I dont even see the point. Like why take in the calories if you're not going to put them to use. :idk: it blows my mind when somwone leaves half a drink on the table at a bar or resturant too.
I know, right? I can't wrap my head around that at all!

I concur with the others, it's both nature and nurture. I'm genetically disposed, but two of my siblings are the "one glass of wine a few times a year" types and my other sibling and myself are alcoholics.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i like your icon picture!
"one glass of wine a few times a year"
what the hell?!
I tried that once when I was sober for 15 months
look at me now.
heh.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The calories is one of the main reasons I gave up,it made losing 80 plus pounds eaiser.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
totfit

Well being born unable to drink normally or born with no arms and legs. I try and keep things in perspective. Not really that big a deal as long as I stay away from it.