Notices

11 days til my life changes forever

Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days til my life changes forever

Hi everyone! My name is Maylie and I have been a heroin addict for 7 years. Up until very recently I knew that I needed my life to change, I am 22 years old just graduated college and not willing to give up on achieving a meaningful life. I always came into a problem when I would seek support from others and their first advice would be "stay away from people, places, and things that you associate with using". I used to tell myself that was too drastic and not realistic. I have finally reached a point where I am willing to do whatever it takes to get my life in order.

In 11 days I will be moving 10 hours from my home to attend law school. I am very fortunate that my family is so happy that I am taking these steps that I was able to secure a wonderful apartment without the stress of having to find a roommate. I have also smashed my old phone which ended any access to tempting phone numbers that I couldn't get myself to delete. I have also gotten a new phone number that only my family knows. I even left my job so on breaks there can't be any offers of doing any drugs with my coworkers as we had for the last 2 years.

The hardest friend to let go of was someone I was best friends with since I was two years old. She was the type of friend that you always assumed would be at your wedding and the type of friend that when you had kids they would grow up and be best friends too. I finally realized what everyone has been telling me all along about her, she is one of my biggest down falls and I have finally cut ties completely.

I always thought changing all these things would make life seem meaningless. Instead, I have never been so stressfree in my life! Although I will miss my family when I move, I can't wait to start fresh in a new apartment and to attend law school to help pave the way to a bright future. I am trying to spend my days with my family, picking out things for my apartment, and finding myself again. Although I don't feel phsyically well, I finally feel free. I had no chance of being able to grow and beat this life crippling addiction if I didn't take the steps to change my life. Even though I know I am doing the right thing, I still would love any encouragement/stories of this working for them in the past to remind me in times of doubt that I am doing what needs to be done.

I am really excited to have found this site and to finally wake up and realize that when people give advice they give it knowing that it worked for them. I know that the advice we all need is not easy to take, but nothing about beating addiction is easy. I have dulled my emotions and stunted my emotional growth for so long, and I can't wait to keep moving forward!

I hope everyone is staying strong

<3 Maylie xoxo
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Maylie -

Congrats on deciding to get sober and on furthering your accomplishments. I found the same thing you have - that it feels good not to have to chase a feeling all the time, planning and plotting, and then going through shame and regret. Freedom is good!

Welcome to our community!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Maylie - really glad to have you here as you count down to another chapter in your life

D
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on making such wonderful changes and the decision to be sober. Good for you. I wish you all the best in your recovery and your future in law!

I think cutting ties with people/places is essential in recovering from addictions if those people/places are major factors in hindering recovery.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck xxx
Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you everyone! it feels so good to finally be doing something to better myself
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Maylie!!! You are SO going to love this site. Many, many wonderful people who REALLY care and are there for you. Good luck with your next new life!