Notices

bad sub experience

Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bad sub experience

So I'm totally new to this forum and all forums for that matter... I've been reading on here for months but today I finally decided to join! I have sooo many ?ss so p lease bear w/ me. I will start with my addiction. I was diagnosed w/ crohns diseas e at 18 and was given vicodin however my real problem didn't start till about 6 yrs ago totally thought I had it under control but it kept getting worse now I'm up to at least 20 vicodin any mg I can get mostly 10/325I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and broke I have 3 beautiful kids and my husband who quit using with sub had no problems. So there's my story skip to 7/1012 my first appt with an addiction spec, I go dr say yes u qualify for sub writes me a script and send my on my way tells me to take 4 mgs and another 4 first day and 8mg 5wice a day after that. I was 18 hrs clean and scored high on cows says my dr. I take my first dose within an hr I was in bed with a migraine body aches anxiety it got so bad I felt crazy like out of it I begged husband to take me to the er. I called the dr he said take more I took 4 more mgs and I made it ten times worse my legs where jerking arms where jerking nothing helped. I was in bed till yest I lowered my dose only taking 2 mgs once twice a day till yest at 3 am I took 2 mgs and quit. I'm also on 1mg xanax 3 times a day and dr told me to take 2 a day but I was petrified I was going to go to sleep and not wake up. So my question is what did I do wrong why did this happen and get worse each day? I want to re enduct myself but don't knw where to start? I can't stop taking my xanax my dr said no but I'm afraid. I am so afraid of sub now but I want to get off these opiates its gotta stop. Has anyone else felt sick or crazy when they started if so how long to you feel "normal"? I've read that ppl feel so awesome and back to norm frist day how is this possible? My dr told me id be able to feel great and take care of kids that did not happen my husband had to miss wrk for days I didn't eat. Or drink or even get out of at all for those days. I want to hear input way I can do this right an I don't want to be on it for yrs I want to get on and get off within months. I've. Heard a lot about robert _ 325 and his help. How do you get in touch with him? Someone please help me.. thank yu
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Becron,
How long after your last dose of vicodin did you wait before taking your first dose of suboxone? If you did not wait about 24 hours you may have went into precipitated wd's. But since you still experienced the symptoms a few days into treatment I think your body just did not agree with the meds. From talking to many people, and from personal experience I can tell you you're not alone in having these reactions. Even when I was on 1mg a day I still had body spasms (where my legs or my whole body would feel like it was shocked. I would fly a few inches off my bed. Scary!) I also experienced migraines every single morning. My third symptom was tinnitus. My left ear would ring constantly, even a week or two after cessation from subs. One thing people have to realize is that suboxone is a very very strong drug with many possible side effects. We're not supposed to give medical advice here so I would just research the side effects as much as possible and voice your concerns to your doctor.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i have no experience with opiates but welcome to SR and i hope someone is able to help you out. if you feel you're in a medical emergency then please get to an ER ASAP!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi again Becron,
I re-read your post and noticed it said you were 18 hours clean. That should have been enough time for induction to subs. I'm interested to hear what others have to say because my bad reactions to subs happened months into induction. The involuntary body spasms are truly scary. I never got used to them.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes my spasms have been bad my arm or legs will just jerk and jump. It wakes me up when I was able to even fall asleep. I just don't understand why everyday got worse the )84*5 (#6 5:3 (4 59"( !3 59 5#'3 rmgs and then another 4mgs at night I could tell it was to much because I was soooo out of it on top of being extremely sick I felt like I was going to go psychotic* like craxy and yes my right has been ringing annoyingly on and offsince the second day. One of my biggest worries was taking xanax even though dr said I could 4 hrs after dosing but I cut my xanax dose in half in fear I would die. Over all it was the worst expierence and I'm so afraid of this stuff now. But I am willing to try another route of induction to stay clean of vics. But I'm at a complete loss on how to. I've read a lot of forums spends hrs a day researching and I'm envious of those who. Start it and feel perfect and can go to work and feel great. Where did I go wrong? I've read a lot about this robert_325 and I'm wondering if and how I can get his input as to what happened to me and if I should even give it another try? I hate to say it but I feel my dr is all about money and he keeps pushing me to up my dose and be on it for the rest of my life and give him 200 dollars each visit I told him everything and he brushes it off? When I tried upping I got so much worse. I feel fine right now because its been since 3 am fri I took it and I. Knw the half liife is still there but my craving are back and I am gonna want to use really soon and I don't want to not at all! I don't want to stay on this death path anymore. I told my husband if I can't get sub to work which I really want it to. I might have to go to impatient rehab but I don't want that since I just paid so much to this addiction spec and for my script since ins wouldn't cover it. Anyone out there please your input would be great. Thanks egnimatic I'm glad iim not alone.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry about the random typos I have no idea why those numbers and symbols got there! I meant on the 4 mgs to start and 4 mgs at night where to much I felt way ovet drugged.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You need to understand that it's against our rules to ask for or give Medical advice.

You need to go back to your dr and talk to him/her about the issue, or try another dr. I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks I was also wondering if this has happened to amyone else.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You really need to see a doctor. But one item caught my attention: You cut your Xanax in half? Benzo detox can be a real bear. have you only been on the Xanax since starting the Sub?

I am so glad you posted here and you will find a ton of support but reaching stabilization is critical in recovery and I suggest strongly you see a doctor and explain everything that is going on. I suspect you were taking a wicked amount of Vicodin and no one here can really advise you other than a doctor.

That said, I am concerned that you are having these issues and your present doctor didn't suggest a more intensive medically supervised detox, like maybe inpatient?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've talked to my dr a few times he said to restart sub right away. Also I suggested getting info about impatient rehab as right now id feel very comfortable with med staff watching me. He said that since I'm in the medical field going to rehab would be like shouting to the world and my job I'm a drug addict. he said before I make that extreme move re try sub. He never suggested therapy or anything? I made myself an appt with a psychologist and also a family counsler and restarting sub today but am. Nervous. To answer a few ?s I have been on xanax for 6 yrs do to anxiety issues I've had since. diagnosed with crohns. Also I was taking 20 vicodin everyday for about a yr before that between 6 to 10 for 5 yrs.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Becron View Post
I've talked to my dr a few times he said to restart sub right away. Also I suggested getting info about impatient rehab as right now id feel very comfortable with med staff watching me. He said that since I'm in the medical field going to rehab would be like shouting to the world and my job I'm a drug addict. he said before I make that extreme move re try sub. He never suggested therapy or anything? I made myself an appt with a psychologist and also a family counsler and restarting sub today but am. Nervous. To answer a few ?s I have been on xanax for 6 yrs do to anxiety issues I've had since. diagnosed with crohns. Also I was taking 20 vicodin everyday for about a yr before that between 6 to 10 for 5 yrs.
I'm not a doctor, but taking Xanax for six years and abruptly cutting them in half is not, even though it is counter intuitive in the realm of addiction, the right approach according to many health professionals well versed in benzo withdrawal. Poly addicted and abrupt reduction of Xanax use is setting yourself up for a world of hurt. And I have found that many doctors are clueless about benzo withdrawal. And he knows of your opiate use and didn't recommend any sort of therapy? Wow. You need medical help, I can't and don't portend to give you medical advice, but from one addict to another, you need some solid advice on how to take drastic steps to address a whopper of problem with benzos and opiates.

Yes, rehab would sent up a red flare and jeopardize any license you hold. From what I know, the recovery community in the medical profession is large, and has the highest recovery success rate of any professional subset because licensing is at stake. Maybe that's a good thing? Most in the healthcare field are forced to enter treatment because they get caught, and keeping their job and/or license is the motivation to succeed in treatment. I wonder what the ramifications would be if you had the courage to admit you have a problem and volunteer for treatment? Better than if your just get caught, I suspect.

You became addicted to drugs prescribed for legitimate medical conditions. Admitting you became addicted to the drugs is not failure; it's courageous, and would probably be viewed by employers and regulators as just that.

But i do question any doctor who recognizes the issues you have and advises you against taking aggressive steps to address a serious addiction because of employment ramifications.