Notices

Points of View please!!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Points of View please!!

Hi

I have been taking over 30 30/500 of codeine in the last five yrs. After finding out how much this drug is like being on heroine and being in a happier place - have decided to wean myself off them.

This started on Wednesday of this week when I told my partner about it. She has been very good but I feel like I am doing it all wrong.

I went from 30 a day down to 8, 6, 4 then down to 8/500 bought from the chemist. I am now taking 4 off them a day but I worry I have done this all too quick (5 days)

i am suffering from the usual side affects and I understand this is my fault so I take the pain that I am having to get myself out of this mess.

The doc stopped the codeine but started me on Gapabentin - are these just as addictive? I feel like they are maybe masking the wean and as soon as I stop taking codeine all together - all hell will break loose.

I am looking for someone to tell me if I am doing this right or if I am being an idiot by taking 4 8'S a day?

Thanks so much
Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I'm afraid we don't have any points of view here that would be better than the advice of your doctor. Please, ask him or her this question.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am looking for the help of someone who has been in the same situation and help me out - thought thats what this site was for??
Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advice on this site, for good reason - few if any people on here are medical professionals. I'd talk to your doctor as soon as you can!

Edit...scroll down on the main page and there's a subforum for detoxing.

We can offer support but we cannot dispense medical advice for obvious reasons....
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i do not want to talk to my doctor, I am asking for the assistance of this site to give me there story and see if this can help me? I have obviously came to the wrong place.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sanatalie View Post
i do not want to talk to my doctor, I am asking for the assistance of this site to give me there story and see if this can help me? I have obviously came to the wrong place.
Scroll down on the main forum page for forums dedicated to detox and addiction.
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

This is a supportive place but for VERY obvious reasons, people can't offer medical advice here....that is what doctors are for. If you don't want to talk to your doctor, I suggest hooking up with one you CAN talk to so you get your money's worth.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-own-life.html

I don't know whether you have seen this thread but it is regarding the drug you are talking about.

As has already been stated though, it's probably best to discuss all this with your doctor!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's interesting how this post turned into a discussion about medical advice and the role of the forum and doctors. It seems to highlight that whilst we know the doctors are the one's with the advice, and we could ask them about a drug and they should be able to tell us in a second, we don't. Just a thought.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't be of much help regarding the dosage cause I'm used to french pills and don't remember everything, but I know everytime I tried to stop too quickly it was a disaster. Really bad withdrawal with everything you can expect, diarrhea, nausea, pain everywhere, insomnia, extreme irritability. In my experience the nightmare lasted between one and two weeks.

Taking you time would be my best advice. After stopping too radicaly a few times, I started using every other day (even if I had to take a few pills when I was actually not using), then twice a week, then once, and then stopping completely was still hard, though it was purely psychological.

Hope it helps, sorry I can't be more precise.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

From Wikipedia

Codeine, or 3-methylmorphine, is an alkaloid found in the opium poppy, Papaver somniferum var. album, a plant in the papaveraceae family. Opium poppy has been cultivated and utilized throughout human history for a variety of medicinal (analgesic, anti-tussive and anti-diarrheal) and hypnotic properties linked to the diversity of its active components, which include morphine, codeine and papaverine.
Codeine is currently the most widely-used opiate in the world, and is one of the most commonly used drugs overall according to numerous reports by organizations including the World Health Organization and its League of Nations predecessor agency.
C18H10NO3(Codeine), C21H23NO5(Heroin)