Notices

Worried

Old 07-14-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried

Hello all and thank you for having me. I'm in need of some emotional support right now. I'm 26 and think I may have some liver issues.

This past year I was suffering from a whole host of issues which included insomnia, brain fog, lethargy, mild jaundice, intense bloating, chest pains, and severe itchiness. I wasn't drinking and was eating well and exercising. No matter how much I tended to my health I couldn't seem to shake my ailments. I finally figured out that I have celiac's disease and my body was attacking my thyroid and liver and probably more. After removing gluten from my diet 2 months ago my health MARKEDLY improved. Fast forward to the 4th of July, I had a night of semi-heavy drinking. Semi-heavy meaning 6-7 drinks. I had not had alcohol for six months prior. The next day my feet and face were puffy and swollen and my sides hurt. It's been about ten days and I'm feeling better but still have a little discomfort. I've never been an intense drinker, not like the craziness I read about on these forums. I'm concerned that 26 years of cumulative damage from undiagnosed celiac's along with moderate drinking has intensified the harmful effects on my liver.

What I'm interested in are people's experiences. I'm not an alcoholic, I don't crave it at all and can go easily throughout the rest of my life without it. I just want to know if there are any people out there who have experienced this and have been ok after complete abstention from alcohol or if I am looking to have problems in the future.

I'm getting better but is a week and a half too early to tell?

Also If people could link me to threads that may be relevant to my concerns. I know people bookmark their favorite ones and I'm hoping you can share. I need some optimism right now; honesty as well.

I don't have medical insurance for another 45 days and can't see a doctor until then. I know medical advice can't be given, but experiences and testimonials are just as valuable for me.

Thanks again and best of luck to you in recovery from everything that ails.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I can't offer anything but a ear . . . eye . . . to your words. Hang in there and get to the Doctor after your insurance starts. And don't drink if you suspect liver issues!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

As you said, we can't give medical advice and you really need to talk to a dr about your concerns. If you don't have insurance for another 45 days, it might be worth paying for a drs visit to answer some of your questions.

I hope you feel better.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is not "medical advice", just some info you may not know.

If you have a gluten intollerance you need to watch what kind of alcoholic product you consume. A lot of beers contain gluten and various other wheat byproducts.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I took my blood test and got the book "Eat Right for your Type", I found out I am a type B, and I shouldn't eat wheat, that was approx a year 1/2 ago.
Last night, at my Healing group, we where talking about the wheat thing, and they told me I should not eat gluten.
I have never even thought to look up wine and beer with gluten or wheat or anything like that! Thanks for this post!
I am 6 months into sobriety, and it is amazing how one post can change or expand my thought processes.
I have never just drank one night in 6 months, I drank every night! So I can't relate. I have never been diagnosed with Celiac, so I can't relate.
However, I am going to start researching, because that is just what I do!!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies
Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing you can do for your liver is not drink anymore

The second best thing you can do (and the best for your peace of mind) is see a Dr - I think it's probably worth the money TEC.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 07-14-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my experience is that i was not/am not qualified to diagnose myself with any ailments so i cant do it for anyone else. i let my doctor do that and it has been workin great.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Please seek real medical advice from a doctor and stop self-diagnosing! there are too many variables to consider...