Wonderful afternoon

Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wonderful afternoon

I had such a wonderful afternoon today.

I go to a step study group once a week and have done so for over a year now with the same small group of ladies. I have come to love each of them and appreciate that they share their struggle to overcome the fallout of loving an addict/alcoholic in their lives. Each one of them has taught me so very much about myself through the sharing of the intimate details of their own recovery.

I invited them over this afternoon to enjoy a lovely summer day lounging and swimming. We didn't talk about our addicted loved ones. We didn't talked about our struggles with codependency. We didn't talk about Step Ten (or any other step). We didn't talk about pain, self improvement or recovery. We simply paddled around in the warm water, enjoying the summer sun, and laughed and chatted about other things.

I will never be grateful that my son is terribly lost in his addiction.....but I will be eternally grateful for the wonderful people who I have met as a direct result of his addiction. This is the beautiful thing called living. We lose some things but if we allow our hearts to be open, we have the opportunity to gain so very much as well.

Just wanted to share a beautiful day with all of you. There are many of you who I would have loved to have invited over as well.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-14-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like a lovely day. my day was full of my kids sport, no sleep (as i worked all last night) and no food. but i did manage to have coffee this morning. but still a good day. hope your good days keep on coming.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a nice day indeed! And even better when you can spend it with warm, caring people who came together for one reason, albeit a sad one, but you've found joy from it. It is so comforting to know you can spend time with others in similar situations without having to relive any of it and see another side of life.

Good for you Kind Eyes
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds wonderful!!! I can be there in about 26 hours, I think.

When God closes a door, He opens a window, eh? What a beautiful view!!