Seaglass and Addiction

Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seaglass and Addiction

I went to a secluded little beach today to look for seaglass. I only started doing it this year and have found it so incredibly relaxing not to mention the rush you get when you find that special gem. I don't know why today I thought of this, but I realized sea glass is alot like addicts.

You walk the beach looking for that special piece of sea glass...so many to choose from. As you scan the area around you, your eyes are immediately drawn to the bright colors glistening in the sun. They are the shiniest for sure but they are the newest to being washed ashore. Pick one of these up and you will most likely get cut as their edges are sharp, broken. If you are new to seaglass, you are tempted by the attraction and decide to take it anyway; why not, as long as you're careful, it won't hurt you and maybe you can try weathering it at home. You wash it, file it, try everything but it just won't change.

If you keep looking, there are others all around, some starting to show its age, a bit dull, but with more days, months, years even in the ocean floor, they will become the piece of seaglass that is the most special. And that is the piece that may not be as shiny or new but the weathered edges, rounded and softened with years of tumbling through the sometimes calm, sometimes turbulent ocean blue, will be kind to your hands and hopefully give you pleasure for many years to come. Once you realize that the not-so-shiny is your best decision, you decide to bring the sharded piece of glass back to where you found it. You know you will miss it because it's what attracted you first. But in order for it to become that soft, rounded gem, you have to let it go. Gently leave it at the water's edge or throw it back in the ocean, but leave it to find its own beauty and one day, if you decide to return, you may find it again.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reading that choked me up. I, too, love and have collected sea glass. I have to go cry a bit now. But that's okay.

Thanks for posting that.

Blessings.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm moved, thank you for the kind words.

I was actually thinking it might be a good gift - either seaglass pieces or shells - have a collection and for every day clean or every day healing from co-dependency, place one in a see-through jar or bottle.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i love this thread...thank you for sharing.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Made me homesick.

I used to live on an island but I had to leave because of someone I couldn't change.

Your images are beautiful, thank you.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

How I miss the Cape in the summer! Will be there in August though!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
How I miss the Cape in the summer! Will be there in August though!
Ohhh yes, the Cape! There are many many beautiful places on this earth and right here in the US but there's something about Cape Cod that has that beachy feel like nowhere else.

I live more south next to the "little" state and there are TONS of hidden gems of beaches and it is a gorgeous state but it still doesn't have the Cape feel. But, put me near a beach and I'm a happy girl :-)

I hope you have a great time there!!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still Standing

What a beautiful analogy, HopefulGF. I also love beaches, but don't live near any. You are truly blessed.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very thought-provoking and beautiful!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love the beach and go as often as I can so I really appreciate the beautiful analogy. My youngest daughter and I collect rocks, as well as beach glass. I find it very therapeutic. Thanks for sharing.