New :)

Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New :)

I just started really researching Nar-anon today, and I'm really nervous to go to a meeting. I feel as though since I'm in a relationship with an addict as opposed to it being my child, parent, or relative that people will look down on me as I can leave the situation whenever I choose to. Any advice?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, Go. Many people have no family relationship with their addicts, they are friends, bosses etc...

You will no be looked down on, you will be embraced!!!

Welcome to SR, so glad you found us.

Katie
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I recently started going to Nar Anon meetings because of my addicted husband. I knew I needed to take that step and talked about it for a month or so. I've only been to two so far - I was SO nervouse and anxious about walking into the first one - and I cried a lot while I was there!

It really is a very supportive place with no judgement at all - just to hear from people in similiar situations is very helpful.

I was NOT the only one there that wasn't a parent or sibling..but the majority of members at my meeting are parents or siblings of the addict. I will probably try another meeting soon - luckily there are many in my area - because I really would like to hear from more spouse/partners living with an addict - especially one in denail.

Most people at my meeting also talked about their addict who is in recovery...my husband denies denies denies - so that is the other frusterating part of the meeting for me so far.

All of this aside - GO. the meetings are still VERY helpful and I am so thankful to go and you should def. at least try one. I brought a very close friend with me who is very aware of my situation. I don't think I could have walked in without her. She has also gotten a lot out of our two meetings so far

Good luck and take care of yourself
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

By all means go! The person I care about with an addiction is no relation to me, but they can affect you every bit as much as family. It's not a question of blood, it's a question of relationship. If you get one thing out of a meeting, it was not in vain. Take what you need and leave the rest. You might also want to get some counseling for yourself from a professional who is trained in addiction.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I'm just trying to keep talking myself out of it - I keep thinking that people are gonna look down on me and think I'm an idiot for being with an addict since that's how most people who know my situation treat me. Thanks for the support!! I'm gonna go on Monday. Hopefully I can meet some people like you guys :P
Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope you go. The purpose of those meetings is to provide support to those who have a friend of family member who is addicted. The hopeful intent of the meetings is to help each other find serenity whether the addict continues to use or not. Theoretically, there is no advice given but just a sharing of experiences that have worked for others to find serenity in a situation that is often punctuated by chaos and confusion.

I hope you find your meeting to be warm, that you feel embraced, and most importantly, that you get face-to-face support and know that you are not alone.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just posted about my first meeting in another thread. I highly recommend going. I put it off myself for months. I can honestly say all of your qualms about it will immediately be put to rest as soon as you walk through the door. It had to have been the warmest group of strangers I could imagine.

Good luck and keep coming back. Let us know how you make out. :-)