Notices

2nd Day Sober

Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd Day Sober

Hello All,

I have been reading this site for a few months now, knowing that I was sick of drinking everyday. To give you a bit of background, I cut down drinking significantly in 2005, limiting myself to nights out only about twice a month. When I split up with my patner in 2006 I crashed my car whilst over the limit and that was the point where I decided to gain control of my life. I found it easy to abstain, though felt a little lonely and isolated as most of my friendships were based around going out/staying in and getting wasted.

I found other things to do, took some educational courses in the evening, started to travel, read, loved films. Life was good but I found it hard to meet like minded people. I stayed sober until June 2010, at that point I would have the odd night out with old friends but would not continue drinking. In fact, I didn't enjoy it but I enjoyed the social aspect.

I ended up seeing an ex boyfriend again who drank heavily, every evening and all day at weekends. At first this was fun but as time went on I grew more and more concerned about the levels consumed. I had fallen into a trap where I was putting away a bottle of wine every evening, sometimes starting in the day at weekends. I would say I have drank almost everyday for the last 20 months. Hating myself for it. Feeling tired all the time, coming down with every illness, no enthusiasm, a shadow of my former self.

I have had some challanges too, two job changes due to redundancy, a severe illness in the family, I just knew that the drinking was not helping and I felt I was sliding out of control. I did not drink yesterday, it took so much effort to not get my fix but I did it! I am not drinking today either. I refuse to waste my life away. I am still seeing my boyfriend. Our relationship is very unstable due to the drinking, we don't argue but he can go missing for weeks depending on his drinking activity with the boys.

He too would like to stop, I know that his withdrawals are worse than mine. When we have tried to give up together, he finds it difficult to sleep and when he does drop off he convulses and the bed is soaked with his sweat. I have to get up really early so I find it impossible to stay with him and withdraw.

His philosophy is cut down but for me I can't control it so I am stopping. I'm not sure if we'll get through this together but I feel I have got to stop now! If we have to split so be it.

Thanks to all for your inspirational posts and best wishes to all on recovery!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

That's a great attitude to have.

I had to just focus on myself when I decided to get sober. I was still focused on everyone else. It is a selfish journey, but I is SO WORTH IT!!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MsFree. It's a great place to be if support, wisdom and experience are what you're looking for it's good to have you here... congratulations on your 2 days - I'm pleased for you. I think your situation is a tricky one and I think you're definitely thinking along the right tracks - being sober is a number one priority. Stay strong and see you around the boards!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's always hard for people to realize that you HAVE to focus on yourself first.

The trick is to realize the you're no good to anybody while you're drinking/using. I see hundreds of newcomers every year, and they're all more concerned about their girlfriends or kids than themselves. As if they have anything to offer.

You have taken a great step by deciding to do something for yourself.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR MsFree

D
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are on the right track MsFree, welcome to SR, you'll find lots of support here x
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome MsFree!
You can do it.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome MsFree! I once had 3 yrs. sober & picked up 'just a glass of wine'. Off I went for 7 more years, proving to myself I had no control at all. For a few days I managed it, but then I was completely swept away by it.

I guess I had to have that experience in order to be completely convinced that I couldn't touch it. After I joined SR I found the strength to stop and stay stopped. You will too! We're glad to have you as part of our family.