Am I doing the right thing?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I doing the right thing?

So a little backstory.

My mom has been addicted to ambien for the last 3 years. She says she is clean but I don't beleive her.

Her behavior is erradic, she acts irresponsibly, and has severe emotional moodswings. IMO her psychologist should have never prescribed the medication to her as she has bipolar disorder.

Anyway here is the question. She is constantly asking for money. She collects Social Security which is enough to cover her expenses. She owns her house and car... However, Until recently I thought it's just because she needs to pay bills, and with inflation the prices go up so I've given her money.

However yesterday she asked for money and I told her I could western union it to her tomorrow. That wasn't good enough. So now im thinking because she needed that money RIGHT THEN AND THERE I have been funding a drug habit the entire time. Obv her prescription would only be covered once a month. And as far as I'm aware ambien addicts will need like 4+ scipts a month.

Also she threatned to cut ties with me and admit herself to a hospital if I didn't send her money.

Am I doing the right thing by cutting her off financially? Wondering if this is typical behavior of someone who is addicted to drugs.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I just was talking about Ambien tonight with a friend.

Personally, I think Ambien is one disgusting drug and it's very sad how freely Dr's prescribe it.

I wouldn't give her any money for Ambien.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also she threatned to cut ties with me and admit herself to a hospital if I didn't send her money.
Well.....I can't tell you if you're doing the right thing or not BUT if she's threatening to cut ties with you because you won't send her money and she's addicted to Ambien, perhaps she needs to be in the hospital.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Kindeyes.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I had to learn to trust my instincts. And I still have not learned to not give them money or pay their bills. I think you're doing the right thing.