Notices

Emotional Wreck...

Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
Emotional Wreck...

Going on 10 days sober... and I have never been such an emotional wreck in my life... I have cried at least 7 out of the 10 days and today I feel the worst by far. I went to bed with a headache, woke up with a headache and just don't feel like being awake at the moment. My emotions are up and down... I am happy to be sober but have a hard time dealing with stress. I feel I don't have the support that I should... I want to just scream and I feel like every time I cry or melt down my fiance thinks I am crazy... even though he really doesn't. I have paranoia, stress, anxiety and depression at the moment and have no clue how to handle it honestly... I am new to actually discussing my issues as I have attending AA meetings in the past just never spoke up. I will get through today... I will make it.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it. I'm on day 10. Kind of struggling - been feeling really depressed today. I know keeping busy helps me the most. I didn't have a very active day which was not good. My parents are always on at me as well which doesn't help.

Could you go and watch a movie with your fiance or something to take your mind of things at all? Any distraction is good. I've just been to the supermarket to treat myself to a bag of pretzels! Hope it gets better for you. Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

You know how on a roller coaster all the big climbs and drops and loops are in the beginning then it starts to even out near the end? That's how my emotional state felt for the first couple of months after i quit drinking. Have you considered seeing a therapist? Seeing a therapist can really help. I see mine monthly now but when i first quit drinking i saw her weekly. It really helped a lot. Good luck. It will get better. When we drink, we shove our emotions down deep and we've done that for so long that when we sober up and they come to the surface we have no clue on how to deal with them. It's overwhelming at first but in time you'll learn again. It just takes a little while.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It's it still so early in your recovery, give yourself time to heal and don't be so hard on yourself. It's okay to feel bad. That doesn't automatically make things get better, it means just accept that this is going to be rough for a couple more days but it will get better--IF YOU DON"T DRINK.

Find a way to treat yourself to something nice...a bubble bath. A favorite movie. Chocolate.

When I'm emotional I wallow in it; I listen to my saddest music and read poetry. I might as well take advantage of the insight afforded to me by my mood.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really is a rollercoaster ride in early recovery - and noone really knows how to handle it - it's the learning how to deal with feelings again that's a major part of recovery I think ampsmarie

the important thing is - you're not alone...and you can and will get through this

stay close by SR and the other support you have

D
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
You know how on a roller coaster all the big climbs and drops and loops are in the beginning then it starts to even out near the end? That's how my emotional state felt for the first couple of months after i quit drinking. Have you considered seeing a therapist? Seeing a therapist can really help. I see mine monthly now but when i first quit drinking i saw her weekly. It really helped a lot. Good luck. It will get better. When we drink, we shove our emotions down deep and we've done that for so long that when we sober up and they come to the surface we have no clue on how to deal with them. It's overwhelming at first but in time you'll learn again. It just takes a little while.
Unfortunately I don't have health insurance at the moment and cannot afford a therapist or I would honestly be there right now if I could. I know it's going to be a rollercoaster of emotions, it just scares me. We live in such a small town, I am still unsure if they offer any free counseling or therapy. Definitely researching though.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I feel for you.... I think we all go something similar. Is there anything you can do to make things less stressful right now? I had to put a lot of things on hold for a few weeks and just focus on being sober.

Too much thinking and worrying about things (past or future) only increases our anxiety. Try to stay in the moment and just take things as they come - it really will get better.:ghug3
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Roll with it Ampsmarie x I can really relate to how you're feeling. It's not nice but we have to go through it. We've been pouring alcohol on our emotions for years and now we actually have to experience them. Takes some getting used to. It feels like the worst PMT I've ever had! Sometimes, when it gets too much I've found distraction helps..watching comedy, doing little things which I know make me happy. I wrote a list early on and just did something of that when I felt a bit lost. I hope you feel better soon x
Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HI

I'm on day 10 tomorrow too. Felt worse over last 3 days than I did last week. I've also got a terrible headache and feel so tense. It sounds simple but walking in the fresh air really helps clear my head

BUT it will get better. By weekend you will be feeling better. Someone said to me, don't fight it, just accept it which will make you less tense and you will feel better.

This short term pain really is worth it. you will feel so much better soon both physiclly nd mentally
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It's really hard at the beginning of the journey to try to make sense of things, but you know you're on the right track. And, we do understand, so keep reading and posting.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
HI

I'm on day 10 tomorrow too. Felt worse over last 3 days than I did last week. I've also got a terrible headache and feel so tense. It sounds simple but walking in the fresh air really helps clear my head

BUT it will get better. By weekend you will be feeling better. Someone said to me, don't fight it, just accept it which will make you less tense and you will feel better.

This short term pain really is worth it. you will feel so much better soon both physiclly nd mentally
Thanks everyone for your responses. It helps to know other are going through it too... Unfortunately "fresh" air here is 109 degrees in Nevada... I am going to relax and watch a funny movie in the air conditioning with my kids Hopefully this helps!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Ampsmarie)))

Yes it can be hard! You want everything to be great because you're making this huge committment and it doesn't seem fair that you feel so crappy....but truly it does get better.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ampsmarie, smile :-) You will make. See how many people are reading your post and rooting for you!